Genetics of Pattern Formation
Over the last few decades, studies of pattern formation in Drosophila imaginal discs have been proceeding along two rather separate lines. One line of research includes the studies initiated by Vogt, Bodenstein and the Hadorn group on the experimental embryology of imaginal discs, where the ability of disc fragments to grow, to regenerate, and to duplicate has been documented (see Bryant, 1978 for review). This has led to a number of theories involving first, gradients of developmental capacity (Bryant, 1971) and second, a polar coordinate system in which any discontinuities are eliminated by intercalation (French, Bryant, and Bryant, 1976).
KeywordsPattern Formation Imaginal Disc Wing Disc Imaginal Wing Disc Tarsal Segment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arking, R., 1975, Temperature-sensitive cell-lethal mutants of Drosophila: Isolation and characterization, Genetics, 80: 519.Google Scholar
- Bateson, W., 1894, “Materials for the Study of Variation”, MacMillan, London.Google Scholar
- Bohn, H., 1972, The origin of the epidermis in the supernumerary regenerates of triple legs in cockroaches (Blattaria), J. Embryol. Exp. Morph., 28:184.Google Scholar
- Bryant, P.J., 1971, Regeneration and duplication following operations in situon the imaginal discs of Drosophila melanogaster, Develop. Biol., 26: 637.Google Scholar
- Clark, W.C.,and Russell, M.A., 1977, The correlation of lysosomal activity and adult phenotype in a cell-lethal mutant of Drosophila, Develop. Biol., 57: 160.Google Scholar
- Duranceau, C., 1977, Control of growth and pattern formation in the imaginal wing disc of Drosophila melanogaster, Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, Irvine.Google Scholar
- Girton, J.R.,and Russell, M.A., 1980, A clonal analysis of pattern duplication in a temperature-sensitive cell-lethal mutant of Drosophila melanogaster, Develop. Biol., in apress.Google Scholar
- Rose, S.M., 1962, Tissue-arc control of regeneration in the amphibian limb, Symp. Soc. Study Develop. Growth, 20: 153.Google Scholar
- Russell, M.A., 1974, Pattern formation in the imaginal discs of a temperature-sensitive cell-lethal mutant of Drosophila melanogaster, Develop. Biol., 40: 24.Google Scholar
- Stern, C., 1968, “Genetic Mosaics and Other Assays”, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.Google Scholar