Peripheral and Central Nervous System Projections in Normal and Mutant (Bithorax) Drosophila Melanogaster
Projections of axons from the wing, haltere and the head are described from silver intensified cobalt preparations of normal and bithorax mutant Drosophila. Dorsal projections from the homeotic wing into thoracic ganglia and to the brain are haltere-like. Ventral projections are wing-like. In general these results are in complete agreement with previous studies by Palka et al.1 and Ghysen2. However, considerable variation of projection patterns is seen between individual mutant animals some of which were previously described only from mosaics (clones of bithorax sensory fibers into normal ganglia).1 Evidence for possible transformations of the third thoracic ganglion in mutants is therefore ambiguous.
Projections of antennal sensory neurons and relay neurons from the head also do not support the notion that the third thoracic ganglion is transformed in these mutants.
KeywordsAntennal Lobe Horse Radish Peroxidase Thoracic Ganglion Relay Neuron Giant Neuron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Palka, P.A. Lawrence, and H.S. Hart, Neural projection patterns from homeotic tissue of Drosophila studied in bithorax mutants and mosaics, Dev. Biol. 69: 549 (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.E.B. Lewis, Genes and developmental pathways, Am. Zool. 3: 33 (1963).Google Scholar
- 6.D.L. Lindsley and E.H. Grell, Genetic Variations of Drosophila melanogaster, Carnegie Institution, Washington (1972).Google Scholar
- 8.J. Bacon and N.J. Strausfeld, Non-random resolution of insect neurons, in: Experimental Entomology Methods, T.A. Miller and N.J. Strausfeld, eds., Springer, New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.N.J. Strausfeld and M. Obermayer, Resolution of intraneuronal and transsynaptic migration of cobalt in the insect visual and central nervous system, J. Comp. Physiol. 110: 1 (1976).Google Scholar
- 12.D.G. King, Anatomy of motor neurons in Drosophila thoracic ganglion, Neuroscience Abs. 2: 904 (1976).Google Scholar