Trace Metal Analysis by Gas Chromatography
Gas chromatography offers a promising new approach to the quantitative and qualitative analyses for trace amounts of metals. This technique has excellent potential because of its high sensitivity and the low cost of instrumentation. The method utilizes the formation of metal complexes, e.g., fluorinated chelates which are volatile and stable enough for gas chromatographic separation and measurement. Some of these metal chelates can be detected at extremely low concentrations, e.g., at the 10−13-g level by using the electron capture detector which is very sensitive to fluorinated metal chelates. The significance of this research is its potential use in medicine, chemistry, environmental health, and metallurgy, where the presence or absence of ultratrace amounts of metals can be extremely important.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. S. Juvet and F. M. Wachi, ibid. 32, 290 (1960).Google Scholar
- 3.F. M. Wachi, Thesis, University of Illinois, L. C. Card No. Mic. 59–2061 (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.W. W. Brandt, Gas Chromatography (1960)Google Scholar
- R. P. W. Scott, ed., Butterworths, Washington (1960), p. 305.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Janak, ibid, p. 306.Google Scholar
- 10.W. D. Ross and R. E. Sievers, Gas Chromatography (1966), A. Littlewood, ed., The Institute of Petroleum, London (1967), p. 272.Google Scholar
- 20.R. W. Moshier and R. E. Sievers, Gas Chromatography of Metal Chelates, Pergamon Press, Oxford (1965).Google Scholar
- 25a.M. L. Taylor, E. L. Arnold, and R. E. Sievers, Anal. Letters 1, 735 (1968).Google Scholar
- b. M. L. Taylor and E. L. Arnold (private communication).Google Scholar
- 26.J. Savory, P. Mushak, and F. W. Sunderman, Tr., Advences in Chromatography, A. Zlatkis, ed., Preston Technical Abstracts, Evanston (1960), p. 181.Google Scholar
- 27.J. Savory, P. Mushak, N. O. Roszel, and F. W. Sunderman, Jr., Fed. Proc. 27, 3154, 177 (1968).Google Scholar
- 28.C. Genty, C. Houin, and R. Schott, Proceedings 7th Int. Symp. on Gas Chromatography, Copenhagen, Institute of Petroleum, June 1968, Paper 9.Google Scholar
- 29.W. D. Ross and R. E. Sievers (unpublished data).Google Scholar