Split Flotation of Calcite from Wollastonite and Microcline — The Calcite Rich Wollastonite Ore of Northern Sweden
A detailed laboratory research program to find possible ways to selectively float the above cited complexly and finely interlayered ore, was carried out. Entrainment experiments of different size fractions of this ore showed that it could be an important contributor to the flotation of slime. Split flotation experiments have shown that substantial improvements in selectivity as well as a >25% reduction in collector consumption are possible compared to normal flotation. Starvation flotation gives flotation concentrates of narrow size distributions. Reverse flotation of calcite enables a simple flotation circuit because of the availability of the calcite specific collectors, namely, LF AK100 and Berol 860. The experiments carried out on mixtures of coarser size fractions with the −10µm fraction in different proportions have shown that the coarser particles, in the presence of ultrafine particles, do not float as fast as they float in the absence of such particles.
KeywordsSize Fraction Ultrafine Particle Magnetic Concentration Column Flotation Reverse Flotation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G.J. Jameson, S. Nam and M. Moo Young, Minerals Sci. Engng. 9, 103–118 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.R.J. Gochin, IMM(U.K) Trans. 92, C52–58 (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.Z.W. Jiang and P.N. Holtham, IMM(U.K) Trans., 95, C187–194 (1986).Google Scholar
- 7.J.P. Bisshop and M.E. White, IMM(U.K) Trans., C191–194 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.K.V.S. Sastry (Editor), Column Flotation’88 - Proc. Inter. Sym. on Column Flotation, (SME, USA 1988) 315 pp.Google Scholar
- 10.L.J. Warren, IMM(U.K) Trans. 84, C99–104 (1975).Google Scholar
- 11.P.T.L. Koh and L.J. Warren, IMM(U.K) Trans., 86, C97–100 (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.P.T.L. Koh and L.J. Warren, in: J. Laskowski (Ed.), Proc. 13th. Int Miner. Process. Congr., ( Elsevier, Amsterdam 1979 ) 1, 294–315.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Sivamohan and J.M. Cases, Int. J. Miner. Process., (1989), in press.Google Scholar
- 14.F. Huang and R. Sivamohan, Minerals Engineering, U.K., (1989), in press.Google Scholar
- 15.F. Huang and R. Sivamohan, in: G.S.Dobby (Ed.) Proc. Int. Symp. on the Processing of Complex Ores, CIM, Canada, ( Pergamon Press 1989 ).Google Scholar
- 16.R. Sivamohan and F. Huang, Miner. & Metal. Process., May, 69–72 (1989).Google Scholar