Advertisement

DNA Chemically Modified by N-Acetoxy-N-2-Acetyl-Aminofluorene : Nature of the Adducts and Conformation of the Modified DNA

  • Marc Leng
  • Evelyne Sage
  • Pascale Rio
Part of the NATO Advanced Study Institutes Series book series (NSSA, volume 40)

Summary

Two aspects of chemical modifications of DNA by aminofluorene derivatives are considered. On one hand, it is shown that the covalent binding of AAF residues to the C(8) of guanine residues can induce a conformational change of poly(dG.dC).poly(dG.dC) from the B-form to the Z-form or a Z-like form. On the other hand, the presence of a deacetylated adduct in liver DNA of rats treated with the carcindgen is demonstrated by the use of specific antibodies.

Chemical carcinogens can react with nucleic acids and proteins. Until now, most of the works have been devoted to the reaction with DNA. The covalent binding of the carcinogens to DNA can modify the conformation of DNA and consequently the interactions between the modified DNA and some proteins. This might be important in the tumorogenic process. This assumption is the basis of our work on DNA modified by aminofluorene derivatives.

In the in vivo reaction between N-acetoxy-N-2-acetyl-amino-fluorene (N-AcO-AAF) and DNA, several adducts are formed. Two of them have been identified as N-(deoxyguanosin-8-yl)-acetylaminofluorene and as 3(deoxyguanosin-N-2-yl)-acetylaminofluorene and they represent about 30% of the total adducts. The other adducts (about 70%) are not yet completely identified. However, it is known that the acetyl groups (on the nitrogen of the aminofluorene residues) are removed. The acetylated adducts are also formed in vitro by the non enzymatic reaction between DNA and N-AcO-AAF (general review 1).

In this paper, we report two aspects of our work. On one hand, it is shown that specific antibodies can be used to identify and to titrate some adducts. On the other hand, the conformation of modified model DNA (poly(dC.dC).poly(dG.dC)) has been studied by circular dichroism.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    K.E. Kriek, Aromatic amines and related compounds as carcinogenic hazards to man, in:“Environmental Carcinogenesis”, P. Emmelot and E. Kriek, ed., Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam, 1979.Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    M. Guigues and M. Leng, Reactivity of antibodies to guanosine modified by the carcinogen N-acetoxy-N-2-acetylaminofluorene, Nucleic Acids Res, 6: 733 (1979).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    M. Spodheim-Maurizot, M. Dreux, G. Saint-Ruf and M. Leng, Alkaline stability of guanosine and some of its derivatives modified by the carcinogen N-acetoxy-N-2-acetylaminofluorene, Nucleic Acids Res, 7: 2347 (1979).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    D.H. Harvan, J.R. Hass and M.W. Lieberman, Adduct formation between the carcinogen N-acetoxy-2-acetylaminofluorene and synthetic polydeoxyribonucleotides, Chem. Biol. Interactions, 17: 203 (1977).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    E. Sage and M. Leng, Conformation of poly(dG.dC).poly(dG.dC) modified by the carcinogens N-acetoxy-N-2-acetylaminofluorene and N-hydroxy-N-2-aminofluorene, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, in press.Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    F.M. Pohl and T.M. Jovin, Salt-induced cooperative conformational change of a synthetic DNA: equilibrium and kinetic studies with poly(dG.dC), J. Mol. Biol, 67: 375 (1972).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    F.M. Pohl, Polymorphism of a synthetic DNA in solution, Nature, 26: 365 (1976).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    A.H.J. Wang, G.J. Quigley, F.J. Kolpak, J.L. Crawford, J.H. van Boom, G. van der Marel and A. Rich, Molecular structure of a left-handed double helical DNA fragment at atomic resolution, Nature, 282: 680 (1979).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  9. 9.
    M.P. Daune and R.P.P. Fuchs, Structural modification of DNA after covalent binding of a carcinogen in: “Réparation du DNA, mutagénèse, cancérogénèse chimique”, CNRS ed., CNRS Paris (1977).Google Scholar
  10. 10.
    D. Grunberger and I.B. Weinstein, Conformational changes in nucleic acids modified by chemical carcinogen, in: “Chemical carcinogens and DNA”, P.L. Grover, Ed., CRC Press, Inc. Boca Raton (1979).Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    E. Sage, M. Spodheim-Maurizot, P. Rio, M. Leng and R.P.P. Fuchs, Discrimination by antibodies between local defects in DNA induced by 2-aminofluorene derivatives, FEBS Letters, 108: 66 (1979).CrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Plenum Press, New York 1981

Authors and Affiliations

  • Marc Leng
    • 1
  • Evelyne Sage
    • 1
  • Pascale Rio
    • 1
  1. 1.Centre de Biophysique MoléculaireC.N.R.S.Orléans CedexFrance

Personalised recommendations