Cloning of recA+ and lexA+ and Some of Their Mutant Alleles; An Investigation of Their Mutual Interaction
The recA +, recA200 (ts), lexA + and lexA3 alleles have been cloned into mn ttïcopy plasmid vectors. The plasmid pPE13 (recA +) confers only partial UV-resistance on DM49 (lexA3), despite producing an excess of recA protein. This suggests that lexA has another role in DNA repair in addition to its role in control of recA. A small degree of UV-sensitivity is conferred upon AB1157 (recA + by pPE13 (recA+). At 42°, the plasmid pPE23 (recA200, ts) confers a high degree of UV-sensitivity upon AB1157 (recA+), despite the presence of the chromosomal recA+ gene. Purified recA200 (ts) protein at 420 has a single strand DNA-dependent ATPase activity which is higher than that of purified recA + protein.
KeywordsMulticopy Plasmid lexA Protein Drug Resistance Marker Strain DM49 lexA Repressor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McEntee, K., Hesse, J. E. and Epstein, W. (1976). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 73, 3979.Google Scholar
- 2.Lloyd, R. G., Low, K. B., Godson, G. N. and Birge, E. A. (1974). J. Bacteriol. 130, 407.Google Scholar
- 3.Ogawa, T., Wabiko, H., Tsujimoto, T., Horii, T., Masukata, H. and Ogawa, H. (1978). Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 43, 909.Google Scholar
- 4.Little, J. W. and Harper, J. E. (1979). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76, 6147.Google Scholar
- 5.Brent, R. and Ptashne, M. (1980). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 77, 1932.Google Scholar
- 6.Emmerson, P. T., Northrop, F. D., Walker, J. E. and West, S. C. (1979). FEBS Letters 106, 349.Google Scholar
- 7.Sancar, A. and Rupp, W. D. (1979). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76, 3144.Google Scholar