Continuous Monitoring of Juvenile Hormone Release by Superfused Corpora Allata of Periplaneta americana
The discovery by Röller and Dahm (1970) that significant quantities of juvenile hormone could be isolated from cultures in vitro of corpora allata from the adult moth Hyalophora cecropia heralded the approach of a new era of experimental investigations of the physiology of the insect corpus allatum, since it showed that the glands continued to make and release the hormone after removal from the body and therefore might be amenable to direct observation in this way. Standard organ culture procedures for the production of relatively pure preparations of juvenile hormones biosynthesized in vitro, were then employed in conjunction with specially developed analytical procedures by workers in two other laboratories, so as to identify which of the three known juvenile hormone homologs were produced by the corpora allata of the adult female of several insect species (Judy et al., 1973a,b; 1975; Jennings et al., 1975; Muller et al., 1974). K.J. Judy and his co-workers also employed to their advantage in identifying the homologs, the efficient and relatively specific incorporation of radioactivity from the S-methyl group of methionine into the methyl ester of juvenile hormones, previously discovered during experiments on H. cecropia in vivo by Metzler et al. (1971).
KeywordsJuvenile Hormone Hormone Release Synthetic Activity Gonotrophic Cycle Corpus Allatum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Engelmann, F., 1970, in “The Physiology of Insect Reproduction” pp. 143–192, Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Metzler, M., Dahm, K.M., Meyer, D., and Röller, H., 1971, Z. Naturforsch. 26: 1270.Google Scholar
- Pratt, G.E., and Finney, J.R., 1975, “Chemical inhibitors of juvenile hormone biosynthesis”, in “The Evaluation of Biological Activity: The Future of Pesticides” Academic Press, New York, in press.Google Scholar
- Pratt, G.E., and Weaver, R.J., 1974, J. Endocrinol. 64: 67 p.Google Scholar
- Schooley, D.A., Judy, K.J., Bergot, B.J., Hall, M.S., and Siddall, J.B., 1973, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 70: 2921.Google Scholar
- Weaver, R.J., and Pratt, G.E., 1975, Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., in press.Google Scholar