Comparison of Larch Embryogeny In Vivo and In Vitro
Larch species have been induced to form embryoids both from both haploid and diploid expiants. The developmental steps in embryogenesis of diploid expiants of Larix leptolepis, L. decidua, L. occidentalis and L. x eurolepis are outlined and compared with the embryogeny of zygotic embryos. The various terms commonly found in the classical embryological descriptions are discussed in terms of their usefulness in describing events in vivo. A number of tissue culture terms, such as proembryo(id), embryonal suspensor mass, and callus are discussed as well. This comparative embryological study is extended to haploid embryoid development, which is initially different from both somatic and zygotic embryogenesis.
KeywordsSomatic Embryo Somatic Embryogenesis Zygotic Embryo Corrosion Cavity Larix Decidua
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Attree, S.M. and Fowke, L.C., in press, Somatic embryogenesis in conifers, in, “Biotechnology in agriculture and forestry,” vol. 17, Y. P. S. Bajaj, ed., Springer Verlag, Berlin and New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Berlyn, G.P., 1972, Seed germination and morphogenesis, in, “Seed biology,” vol. I, pp. 223–312, T. T. Kozlowski, ed., Academic Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- 3.Cornu, D., and Geofrrion, C., in press, Aspects de l’embryogénèse somatique chez le mélèze.Google Scholar
- 4.Dogra, P.D., 1967, Seed sterility and distrubances in embryogeny in conifers with particular reference to seed testing and tree breeding in Pinaceae, St. For. Suecica, 45: 5–97.Google Scholar
- 5.Doyle, J., 1963, Proembryogeny in Pinus in relation to that in other conifers — a survey Proc. Roy. Irish Acad., 62A: 181–216.Google Scholar
- 6.Doyle, J., and Brennan, M., 1971, Cleavage polyembryony in conifers and taxads — a survey. II. Cupressaceae, Pinaceae and conclusions, Sci. Proc. Roy. Dublin Soc, 4A: 137–158.Google Scholar
- 14.Schöpf, J.M., 1943, The embryology of Larix, Illinois Biological Monographs, 19:1–97.Google Scholar
- 15.Singh, H., 1978, Embryology of gymnosperms, Gebrüder Borntraeger, Berlin and Stuttgart.Google Scholar
- 20.Williams, E.G., and Mahashwaran, G., 1986, Somatic embryogenesis: factors influencing coordinated behaviour of cells as an embryogenic group, Ann. Bot., 57: 443–462.Google Scholar