Competitive Peptide Adsorption to Nitrocellulose Covered Backing Material in Cf-252-Plasma Desorption Mass Spectrometry
Cf-252-Plasma desorption (PD)  and Fast atom bombardment (FAB)  mass spectrometry have emerged as powerful tools for the analysis of complex underivatized peptide mixtures obtained from chemical or enzymatic cleaved proteins. It is well known that suppression effects in FAB mass spectra of tryptic peptide mixtures are limiting the use of this technique . This perferential desorption/ionization was mainly attributed to the different hydrophobicity of the individual compounds . In fact, it turned out that the different surface excess concentrations of the individual peptides in the applied liquid matrix were responsible for the selective desorption behavior . This behavior of the tryptic peptides in the mixture was correlated with their average hydrophobicities [4,5] based either on the indices of Bull and Breese  or of Park et al. . This severe limitation can be partly reduced by HPLC separation or chemical derivatization .
KeywordsPeptide Mixture Bovine Insulin Cyanogen Bromide Fast Atom Bombardment Mass Spectrometry Fission Event
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barber M., Bordoli R.S., Sedgwick R.D. and Tyler A.N., J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun., 325 (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.Allmaier G., Nam J.Y., Pittenauer E. and Schmid E.R., presented at the 2nd Int. Sympos. Mass Spectrometry in Health and Life Sciences, San Francisco, August 1989, 83.Google Scholar
- 15.Allen G. in Sequencing of Proteins and Peptides ed. by Work T.S. and Burdon R.H., Elsevier, Amsterdam, NL (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.Gross E. and Witkop B., J. Biol. Chem. 237, 1956 (1962).Google Scholar
- 17.Glazer A.N., Delange RJ. and Sigman D.S. in Chemical Modification of Proteins, ed. by Work T.S. and Work E., Elsevier, Amsterdam, NL (1975).Google Scholar
- 18.Friedman M., Krull L.H. and Cavins J.F., J. Biolog. Chem. 245, 3868 (1970).Google Scholar
- 19.Roepstorff P., Nielsen P.F., Klarskov K., and Hojrup P., in The Analysis of Peptides and Proteins by Mass Spectrometry, ed. by McNeal C.J., Wiley, Chichester, GB (1988).Google Scholar