Even before the regentsâ€™ meeting on May 9, 1994, Connie Newman had come up with a new proposal to deal with the worsening situation. Before joining the Institution, she had been head of the Federal Office of Personnel Management. In that role she had frequently dealt with the major veteransâ€™ organizations, and had established good rapport with their leadership. Given the unyielding attitudes of the AFA, she thought we might be better off seeking the support of these larger organizations. If that worked, the AFA, whose membership was only about 180,000 would have to defer to such giants as the American Legion, with its 3.1 million members.
KeywordsAtomic Bomb American Legion Space Museum Worsen Situation National Executive Committee
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Constance Berry Newman, letter to Bruce Thiesen, May [4?], 1994, NASM/MH. Google Scholar
- 2.Bob Roberts, â€œVeterans embroiled in Enola Gay Debate,â€ Journal Herald, October 26, 1994, 1. Also, telephone conversation between Ben Nicks and the author, May 13, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.National Executive Committee Meeting of the American Legion, Indianapolis, Indiana, Resolution No: 22, Smithsonian Exhibit of the Enola Gay, May 4â€“5, 1994, NASM/MH, and AFA The Enola Gay Debate, Key Documents, May 1995. Two earlier resolutions the American Legion also forwarded to us were Resolution concerning display of the Enola Gay in a patriotic manner in the National Air and Space Museum, Nashville, Tennessee, January 21, 1994, signed by Charles G. Norton, Tennessee Department; and Resolution 212 on â€œEnola Gayâ€ referred to the Committee on Credentials and Internal Affairs, for the Seventh Annual National Convention, Louisville, Kentucky, September 6, 7, 8, 1988, submitted by adjutant (name illegible) Indiana Department, NASM/MH. Google Scholar
- 4.Hubert R. Dagley II, letter to Donald C. Rehl, June 10, 1994, AFA, The Enola Gay Debate, Key Documents, May 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.News Release, Airmen Memorial Museum, June 9, 1994, AFA, The Enola Gay Debate, Key Documents, May 1995. For an extensive excerpt see, The American Legion (November 1994), 29.Google Scholar
- 6.Ibid.Google Scholar
- 7.Martin Harwit, letter to Paul W. Tibbets, June 17, 1994, NASM/MH. Google Scholar
- 8.Notes of June 22 telephone conversation of Martin Harwit with Paul Tibbets, MH. Google Scholar
- 9.Martin Harwit, letter to Paul W. Tibbets, June 24, 1994, NASM/MH. Google Scholar
- 10.Paul W. Tibbets, letter to Martin Harwit, June 27, 1994, NASM/MH. Google Scholar
- 11.Martin Harwit, letter to Paul W. Tibbets, July 11, 1994. NASM/MH. Google Scholar
- 12.Martin Harwit, letter to Admiral T.J. Kilcline (USN Ret.) June 15, 1994, NASM/MH. Google Scholar