Kinetics and Control of White Cell Production by Bone Marrow
The compartmental sizes, distribution, renewal rates and turnover of granulocytes in normal man have been defined reasonably well elsewhere and will be merely summarized here. Table 1, taken from Cronkite (1), Cartwright (2) and others (3), presents the most significant features. This information has derived from kinetic studies with various types of cell labels, calculations of proliferative activity and estimates of total cell numbers at various stages of maturation.
KeywordsPluripotential Stem Cell Acute Leukemia Mature Cell Mature Granulocyte Stem Cell Concept
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cronkite, E. P.: Kinetics of leukemic cell proliferation. In Perspectives in Leukemia, Eds. W. Dameshek & R. M. Dutcher, Grime & Stratton, N.Y. 1968, p. 158.Google Scholar
- 2.Cartwright, G. F., Athens, J. W., and Wintrobe, M. M.: The kinetics of granulopoiesis in normal man. Blood 24: 780, 1964.Google Scholar
- 3.Wilbur, D. W.: “The Neutrophil System,” University of California Lawrence Radiation Lab, UCRL-50102, 1966.Google Scholar
- 5.Bullough, W. S.: Mitotic and functional homeostatis: A speculative review. Cancer Res. 25: 1683, 1965.Google Scholar
- 6.Rytbmaa, T., and Kiviniemi, K.: Control of granulocyte production. II. Mode of action of chalone and antichalone. Cell and Tis. Kinetic 1: 329, 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.Lawrence, J. S., Craddock, C. G. and Campbell, T. N.: Antineutrophilic serum. Its use in studies of white blood cell dynamics. J. Lab. & Clinc. Med. 69: 88, 1967.Google Scholar
- 10.Lawrence, J. S. and Craddock, C. G.: Stem cell competition: the response to antineutrophilic serum as affected by hemorrhage. J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 72: 731, 1968.Google Scholar
- 12.Metcalf, D.: Lymphocyte kinetics in the thymus. In The Lymphocyte in Immunology and Haemopoiesis. Ed. J. M. Yoffey. Publ. Edward Arnold, London, 1967.Google Scholar
- 17.Feinendegen, L. E., Bond, V. P. and Hughes, W. L.: Physiological thymidine reutilization in rat bone marrow. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 127: 448, 1966.Google Scholar
- 18.Feinendegen, L. E.: Personal communication.Google Scholar