Impurity Ion Mobility in He II
We have previously1 reported an experimental determination of the mobility of various impurity ions injected into liquid helium. The major conclusion of that investigation was that the ion mobility depends on the atomic number of the impurity atom in a way that cannot be explained simply in terms of the mass of the ion. It was clear that the ion-roton scattering interaction depends on the electronic structure of the core ion. We now report a more detailed examination of mobilities of 40Ca and 48Ca ions so as to isolate the effects of ionic mass on mobility, and discuss the data in terms of recent theories of roton-limited ion mobility.
KeywordsScattering Cross Section Mass Dependence Dependence Opposite Differential Scattering Cross Section Total Scattering Cross Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K.W. Schwarz (to be published.).Google Scholar
- 4.R.G. Barrera and G. Baym, Phys. Rev. (to be published).Google Scholar
- 6.R.G. Barrera, Thesis, Univ. of Illinois, 1972 ( University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan).Google Scholar
- 8.G. Ihas, Thesis, Univ. of Michigan, 1971 ( University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan).Google Scholar
- 9.K.W. Schwarz (to be published).Google Scholar