Dielectric Constant and Viscosity of Pressurized 3He-4He Solutions Near the Tricritical Point
Measurements of the dielectric constant ε and the product of the normal density ρ n and the viscosity η have been made on 3He-4He solutions at pressures up to the solidus. In this experiment both ρ n η, determined from the damping on a vibrating wire, and e, determined by the frequency shift of a tunnel diode oscillator, can be measured simultaneously in both the 3He-rich and the 4He-rich phases below the separation. Data taken for 63.6–75.1% 3He for temperatures between 0.45 and 1.2°K are presented. Viscosity and ρ n η results near the tricritical point and the resulting phase diagram for elevated pressures obtained from the measured dielectric constant are given.
KeywordsDielectric Constant Saturated Vapor Pressure Tricritical Point Superfluid Transition Tank Circuit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R.B. Griffiths, Phys. Rev. Lett. 24, 715 (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.C.M. Lai, P.P. Craig, T.A. Kitchens, and D.F. Brewer, in Proc. 12th Intern. Conf. Low Temp. Phys., 1970, Academic Press of Japan, Tokyo (1971), p. 167.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Boghosian, H. Meyer, and J. Rives, Phys. Rev. 146, 110 (1966); C. Boghosian and H. Meyer (private communication).Google Scholar
- 6.E.C. Kerr, Low Temperature Physics and Chemistry, J.R. Dillinger, ed., Univ. of Wisconsin Press, Madison (1958), p. 158.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Johnson and E. Graf, private communication.Google Scholar
- 10.J.T. Tough, W.D. McCormick, and J.G. Dash, Rev. Sci. Instr. 35, 1345 (1964); Phys. Rev. 132, 2373 (1963).Google Scholar