Information Dynamics of Self-Programmable Matter
Using the simple observation that programs are identical to data, programs alter data, and thus programs alter programs, we have constructed a self-programming system based on a parallel von Neumann architecture. This system has the same fundamental property as living systems have: the ability to evolve new properties. We demonstrate how this constructive dynamical system is able to develop complex cooperative structures with adaptive responses to external perturbations. The experiments with this system are discussed with special emphasis on the relation between information theoretical measures (entropy and mutual information functions) and on the emergence of complex functional properties. Decay and scaling of long-range correlations are studied by calculation of mutual information functions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennett, C. H., 1989, Dissipation, Information, Computational Complexity and the Definition of Organization, in: “Emerging Syntheses in Science,” Pines, D., ed., Addison-Wesley, Reading.Google Scholar
- Bennett, C. H., 1988, Computational Measures of Physical Complexity, in: “Lectures in the Sciences of Complexity I,” Stein, D. L., ed., Addison-Wesley, Reading.Google Scholar
- Fontana, W., 1991, Algorithmic Chemistry, in the proceedings of the Second Artificial Life Workshop, SF1 Studies in the Sciences of Complexity, Farmer, J. D. et al., eds., Addison-Wesley (in press).Google Scholar
- Hopcroft, J. E., and Ullman, J. D., 1979, “Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation,” Addison-Wesley, Reading.Google Scholar
- Palmer, R., 1988, Neural Nets, in: “Lectures in the Sciences of Complexity I,” Stein, D. L., ed., Addison-Wesley, Reading.Google Scholar
- Rasmussen, S., Knudsen, C., and Feldberg, R., 1991, Dynamics of Programmable Matter, in the proceedings of the Second Artificial Life Workshop, SFI Studies in the Sciences of Complexity, Farmer, J. D. et al, eds. Addison-Wesley (in press).Google Scholar
- Touretzky, D., ed., 1990, Proceedings of the Neural Information Processing Conference, NIPS 2, Morgan Kaufman Publishers.Google Scholar