Preparation and Properties of Antibodies to Gangliosides
In the limited space available I would like to consider some of the major problems encountered in immunological studies of gangliosides and neutral glycosphingolipids (GSLs), and some new approaches to these problems. Several comprehensive reviews of glycolipid immunology have been published recently1–5. The problems arise from the weak immunogenicity of many GSLs and from the amphipathic nature of these compounds.
KeywordsGlycolipid Antigen Lipid Model Membrane Neutral Glycosphingolipids Weak Immunogenicity Amphipathic Nature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. M. Rapport, and L. Graf, Immunochemical reactions of lipids, Progr. Allergy, 13: 273 (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.S. I. Hakomori, Structures and organization of cell surface glycolipids dependency on cell growth and malignant transformation, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 417: 55 (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.D. M. Marcus, Applications of immunological techniques to the study of glycosphingolipids, in: “Glycolipid Methodology”, L.A. Witting, ed., American Oil Chemists Society, Champaign, Ill. (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.C. R. Alving, Immune reactions of lipids and lipid model membranes, in: “The Antigens”, Vol.IV, M. Sela, ed, Academic Press, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.S. K. Kundu, and D. M. Marcus, Production of antibodies to GD3, Fed. Proc. 37: 1766 (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.W. W. Young, R. A. Laine, and S. I. Hakomori, Covalent attachment of glycolipids to solid supports and macromolecules, in: “Methods in Enzymology”, Vol. L, V. Ginsburg, ed., Academic Press, New York (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Eng, and D. M. Marcus, unpublished observations.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Holmgren, Comparison of the tissue receptors for Vibrio cholerae and Escherichia coli enterotoxins by means of gangliosides and natural cholera toxoid, Infect. Immun. 6: 851 (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.W. W. Young, Jr., J. W. Regimbai, and S. Hakomori, Radioimmunoassay of glycosphingolipids: application for the detection of Forssman glycolipid in tissue extracts and cell membranes, J. Immunol. Meth. (in press).Google Scholar
- 15.E. A. Kabat, Structure of antibody combining sites, Ann. Immunol. (Inst. Pasteur) 127: 239 (1976).Google Scholar
- 16.S. K. Kundu, and D. M. Marcus, Properties of antibodies to gangliosides GD3 and GM1, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 19.F. Melcher, M. Potter, N.L. Warner, “Lymphocyte Hybridomas, Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology’, Vol. 81, Springer-Verlag, New York (1978).Google Scholar