Critical Levitation Loci for Spheres on Cryogenic Fluids
Floating a waxed steel pin on water has long been a source of amusement and an apparent paradox to Archimedes’ principle. However, a closer examination reveals that one simply has not accounted for all the forces acting to float the pin.
KeywordsDensity Ratio Force Balance Bond Number Vapor Film Minimum Energy Configuration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anon., “Propellant Work Shows New Film Boiling Aspect,” Chem. Eng. News,44(17):58 (Apr. 25, 1966).Google Scholar
- 2.Apollo Land Rescue Team, NASA Manned Spacecraft Center, Houston, Texas. Private communication.Google Scholar
- 3.A. P. Rinfret, Union Carbide Corp., Linde Division, New York, private communication.Google Scholar
- 5.R. C. Hendricks and K. J. Baumeister, “Heat Transfer and Levitation of a Sphere in Leidenfrost Boiling,” NASA TN D5694 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Timoshenko and S. Woinowsky-Krieger, Theory of Plates and Shells, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, (1959), pp. 443–445.Google Scholar