The Ancestors of the Mammals
To put the mammals in perspective and in the correct position in the fossil record it is necessary briefly to describe some of their known ancestors and emphasise points of particular interest and relevance about their structure before describing in detail the evolution of mammalian characters.
KeywordsBony Fish Lower Devonian Neural Spine Skull Roof Temporal Fossa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Romer, A. S. (1956) Osteology of the Reptiles, The University of Chicago Press, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- Romer, A. S. & Price, L. W. (1940) ‘Review of the Pelycosauria’, Geol. Soc. Amer. Sp. Papers, no. 28Google Scholar
- Stromer, E. (1915) ‘Das Original des Theropoden Spinosaurus aegyptiacus’, Abh. Bayer. Acad. Wiss., 18, 1–32Google Scholar
- Watson, D. M. S. (1951) Paleontology and Modern Biology, Yale University Press, New HavenGoogle Scholar
- Williston, S. W. (1925) The Osteology of the Reptiles, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass.Google Scholar