Temporal Correlation Between Intrauterine Oxygen Tension and Endometrial H4-Lactic Dehydrogenase in the Guinea Pig
Ambient oxygen tension can alter carbohydrate metabolism of uterine tissue in vitro by modifying the relative proportions of “H” and “M” subunits of lactic dehydrogenase: low oxygen tension favors production of M-LDH wheras elevated pO2 stimulates H-LDH synthesis (Dawson, Goodfriend and Kaplan, 1964). Previous studies have demonstrated that, in the rat, the luminal surface of the uterus is normally exposed in vivo to alterations in oxygen tension during the estrous cycle (Mitchell and Yochim, 1968a) and pregnancy (Yochim and Mitchell, 1968). Since O2 tension modifies lactic dehydrogenase isozyme distribution, it was hyposthesized (Yochim and Mitchell, 1968) and subsequently substantiated (Yochim, 1975) that increased intrauterine pO2 favors the synthesis of H4-LDH in the endometrium and results in increased oxidative metabolism. Thus, in the rat, the concentration of oxygen to which the endometrium is exposed appears to exert a marked effect on LDH isozyme activity. Subsequently, cyclic alterations in intrauterine oxygen tension have also been observed in the guinea pig (Garris and Mitchell, 1979). The following study was therefore undertaken to determine if the relative proportion of H-LDH present in the endometrium of the guinea pig also correlates with changes in intrauterine oxygen tension.
KeywordsOxygen Tension Estrous Cycle Uterine Tissue Uterine Blood flOW Alter Carbohydrate Metabolism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abedonojo, F., Rensch, K. and King, D. Cancer Res. 21, 252, 1961.Google Scholar
- Clark, S. W. and Yochim, J. M. Endocrinology 89, 358, 1971b.Google Scholar
- Dawey, M. M. and Conklin, J. L. Pro. Soc. exp. Biol. Med. 105, 492, 1960.Google Scholar
- Dawson, D. N., Goodfriend, T. L. and Kaplan, N. O. Science 143, 929, 1964.Google Scholar
- Gershbein, L. L. and Raikoff, K. G. Enzyme 23, 64, 1978.Google Scholar
- Goodfriend, T. L. and Kaplan, N. O. J. Biol. Chem 239, 130, 1964.Google Scholar
- Goodfriend, T. L., Sokol, D. and Kaplan, N. J. Col. Biol. 15, 18, 1966.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, J. A. and Yochim, J. M. Endocrinology 83, 701, 1968a.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, J. A. and Yochim, J. M. Endocrinology 83, 701, 1968n.Google Scholar
- Stambough, R. and Post, D. J. Biol. Chan. 241, 1462, 1966.Google Scholar
- Yochim, J. M. and Clark. S. W. Biol. Reprod. 5, 146, 1971.Google Scholar