Platelet Survival Determination in Atherosclerosis
It has been convincingly established that the blood platelet plays a key and often primary role in thrombosis, especially in the arterial circulation. Mounting evidence indicates that the thrombotic process plays a major role in atherosclerosis. Whether the process is involved with the initiation of atherosclerotic lesions, as increasing evidence suggests, is not firmly established; but there seems no doubt that thromboembolism contributes greatly to the progression of atherosclerosis and to the clinical complications of the process, such as stroke or myocardial infarction. The blood platelet may contribute to degenerative vascular disease in a number of ways, including that the substances they release upon stimulation actually cause vessel injury or produce a response of the vessel to injury; that they constitute a major component of the thrombi which form on an area of arterial damage or atherosclerotic plaque which may lead to vessel occlusion or serve as a source of emboli that contributes to organ ischemia (1).
KeywordsAtherosclerotic Lesion Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Blood Platelet Platelet Function Test Arterial Thromboembolism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mustard, J.F. (1976) Transactions of American Clinical and Climatological Association 87, 104–127.Google Scholar
- 5.Cazenave, J.P., Packham, M.A., Guccione, M.A., and Mustard J.F. (1974) J. Lab. Clin. Med. 86, 551–563.Google Scholar
- 6.Reimers, H.J., Kinlough-Rathbone, R.L., Cazenave, J.P., Senyi, A.F., Hirsh, J., Packham, M.A., and Mustard, J.F. (1976) Thrombosis and Haemost. 35, 151–166.Google Scholar
- 7.Groves, H.M., Kinlough-Rathbone, R.L., Richardson, M., and Mustard, J.F. Blood. In press.Google Scholar
- 9.Genton, E. (1976) Proceedings of Int’l Symposium on Platelets and Thrombosis, Milan, Italy.Google Scholar
- 11.Abrahamsen, A.F. (1968) Scand. J. Hemat. 5, Suppl. 3, 1–53.Google Scholar
- 15.Ritchie, J.L., and Harker, L.A. (1974) Circulation 50, Suppl. 3, 285.Google Scholar