In this chapter FRP raw materials are discussed with particular emphasis on their use in pultrusion processing. A discussion of the background chemistry is included where applicable. For inert fillers the chemical formulas are provided, notes on where the base minerals normally are found, any relevant processing information, normal packaging, and the fillers’ contribution to the FRP product are included.
KeywordsCalcium Carbonate Maleic Anhydride Polyester Resin Vinyl Ester Organic Peroxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armstrong, R. F. “Calcium Carbonate,” Encyclopedia Of Chemical Technology, Vol. 4, 2nd ed., Wiley Interscience, New York 1964, P. 7.Google Scholar
- Boynton, R. S. Chemistry And Technology Of Lime And Limestone. Interscience, New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- Connolly, W. J., and Thornton, A. M. Proceedings,SPI RP/C Div. 20th Ann. Conference, Chicago, IL, Feb., 1965, paper 11B.Google Scholar
- Copeland, J. R. and Rush, O. W. “Reinforcing With Wollastonite Filler Makes for a Tougher Polypropylene.” Modern Plastics Vol. 56, No. 3 (March, 1979 ), pp. 68–70.Google Scholar
- Dow Chemical. “Derakane Resins For Chemical And Corrosion Resistance.” Publication No. 190–136–70R by Dow Chemical Co., Designed Products Dept., Midland, MI 48640.Google Scholar
- Ferrigno, T. H. “Effects Of Fillers On The Surface Appearance of Molded Premix Compounds,” Minutes SPI Premix Committee Meeting, New York City, May 13, 1965.Google Scholar
- Key, W. W. “Chalk and Whiting.” In Industrial Minerals and Rocks, 3rd ed., J. L. Gillson, ed., A.I.M.E., New York, 1960, p. 233.Google Scholar
- Mageli, O. L. and Kolczynski, R. Ind. Engr. Chemistry, Vol. 58, no. 58, 3 (Mar., 1966 ), p. 25.Google Scholar
- Mageli, O. L., and Shephard, C. S. Organic Peroxides, Chap. 1. S. Organic Peroxides, Chap. 1, “Sweon,” Wiley Interscience, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- Nease, J. C. “Inorganic Fillers For Plastics.” SPE, Pittsburgh, PA., 1966.Google Scholar
- North, F. J. Limestones. Van Nostrand, Princeton, N.J., 1930. PPG Industries. “SMC-A Systems Approach.” PPG Industries Technical Information Bul., p. C-1; Pittsburgh.Google Scholar
- Simpson, J. E. “Colorants For Plastics.” Modern Plastics Encyclopedia, 1963. McGraw-Hill, New York (1963).Google Scholar
- Stowell, F. P. Limestone As a Raw Material In Industry. Oxford University Press, New York, 1963.Google Scholar