The Hypocalcemia of Magnesium Depletion
Hypocalcemia has been observed in conjunction with severe magnesium depletion (1–8). This association is seen mainly in pathological conditions characterized by decreased absorption of magnesium from the gastrointestinal tract. The postulate that the hypocalcemia is the consequence of magnesium deficiency per se, and not calcium deficiency, is supported by studies showing that this syndrome can be reproduced by restricting magnesium in the diet or that hypocalcemia can be corrected by replacing magnesium alone without supplementation of calcium and/or vitamin D. The pathogenesis of hypocalcemia in magnesium depletion is multifactorial; however, recent studies have clarified previous controversial results regarding the role of PTH in this syndrome (2–5).
KeywordsCeliac Disease Parathyroid Hormone Magnesium Deficiency Parathyroid Hormone Secretion Magnesium Depletion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Rude, R.K., Oldham, S.B., Singer, F.R.: Functional hypoparathyroidism and parathyroid hormone end-organ resistance in human magnesium deficiency. Clin. Endocrinol. 5: 209, 1976.Google Scholar
- 12.Hamilton, J.W., Spierto, F.W., MacGregor, R.R. and Cohn, D.V.: Studies on the biosynthesis in vitro of parathyroid hormone. II. The effect of calcium and magnesium on synthesis of parathyroid hormone isolated from bovine parathyroid tissue and incubation medium. J. Biol. Chem. 246: 3224, 1971.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Mennes, P., Rosenbaum, R., Martin, K., and Slatopolsky, E: Impaired parathyroid hormone secretion in chronic renal disease secondary to hypomagnesemia. Ann. Intern. Med. (in press).Google Scholar
- 20.Neuman, W.F., Neuman, M.W.: The Chemical Dynamics of Bone Mineral. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press, 1958, pp. 55–100.Google Scholar
- 22.Littledike, E.T. and Arnaud, C.D.: The influence of plasma magnesium concentrations on calcitonin secretion in the pig. Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 136: 1000, 1971.Google Scholar