Theoretical Aspects of Ion Energy Increase in Laser Produced Plasmas Due to Static Magnetic Fields
The increase Δε of the ion energy ε of a laser produced plasma due to an additional applied static magnetic field H oriented perpendicular to the stratified plasma boundary for moderate laser intensities led experimentally to the relation ε3Δε/H4 = const. The ponderomotive force equation including the gasdynamic pressure and the electromagnetic fields from the laser and the static magnetic field reproduces the relation exactly, and results in a reasonable number for the constant consistent with the assumption of an ion density of about 1017 cm −3 in the diamagnetic boundary layer.
KeywordsStatic Magnetic Field Force Density Ponderomotive Force Laser Interaction Plasma Phenomenon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Schwarz and H. Hora, “Magnetic Field Enhanced Energy Increase of Ions Emitted from Laser Irradiated Solid Targets” Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena (H. Schwarz and H. Hora, eds), Plenum, New York, these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Namba, H. Schwarz, Proc. IEEE Symposium on Electron, Ion and Laser Beam Technology, Berkeley, May 1967, p. 861; S. Namba P.H. Kim and Helmut Schwarz, Trans. 8th Internat. Conf. on Phenomena in Ionized Gases, Vienna, Austria, Aug. 27-Sept. 2, 1967.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Schwarz, Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena, (H. Schwarz and H. Hora, eds.) Plenum, New York 1971, p. 207.Google Scholar
- 5.P. E. Faugeras, M. Mattioli, and R. Papoular, AIAA Fluid and Plasma Dynamics Conference, Los Angeles, Calif., June 1968. E. Fabre and H. Lamain, Physics Letters 29A, 497 (1969);G. Tonon e.a. as reported by F. Floux, Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena (H. Schwarz and H. Hora, eds.) Plenum, New York, these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Büchl, K. Eidmann, P. Mulser, H. Salzmann, R. Sigel and S. Witkowski, Proc. 4th. Conf. on Plasma Physics and Controlled Nuclear Fusion, Madison, Wisconsin, June 1971; IAEA, Vienna 1971. C. Yamanaka, Second Workshop Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena (H. Schwarz and H. Hora, eds.) Plenum, New York, these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 10.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Electrodynamics of Continua Media (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1966), p. 242.Google Scholar