Interpretation of Cylindrical Langmuir Probe Signals from Streaming Laser-Produced Plasmas
Experimental procedures for the use of cylindrical Langmuir probes to diagnose streaming laser-produced plasmas are described, and the steps involved in the development of a theory for the probe in a high velocity flowing plasma are summarized. The probe-plasma interaction for the front half of the probe facing the plasma flow is simulated using a stationary plasma model. Qualitative conclusions obtained from this analysis are then used to derive expressions for current collected in the flowing plasma case. Theoretical electron current characteristics are calculated and fitted to the experimental curves. Comparison is made with other works using particle collection techniques to diagnose laser-produced plasmas.
KeywordsElectron Temperature Probe Surface Flowing Plasma Electron Current Debye Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W.A. Clayden, Proc. 3rd Symp. on Rarefied Gas Dynamics, J. Laurman, ed., Academic Press, Vol. 2, p. 435 (1963).Google Scholar
- F.O. Smetna, Proc. 3rd Symp. on Rarefied Gas Dynamics, J. Laurman, ed., Academic Press, Vol. 2, p. 65 (1963).Google Scholar
- A. Cheung, Univ. of Md. Tech. Note BN-696 (1971).Google Scholar
- J.G. Laframboise, Univ. of Toronto Inst. for Aerospace Studies Report No. 100 (1966).Google Scholar
- I. Langmuir and H.M. Mott-Smith, Collected Works of Irving Langmuir, Vol. 4, Macmillan (1961). Originally presented in Phys. Rev. Vol. 28, No. 4 (1926).Google Scholar
- M. Kaminsky, Atomic and Ionic Impact Phenomena on Metal Surfaces, Chapters 12 and 14, Academic Press (1965).Google Scholar
- M. Hirono and I. Iwamoto, Journal of the Radio Research Laboratories, Tokyo, Vol. 14, No. 72, p. 79 (1967).Google Scholar
- S. Namba, P.H. Kim, T. Itoh, T. Arai, and H. Schwarz, Scientific Papers of the Inst. of Phys. and Chem. Res., Vol. 60, No. 4, p. 101 (1966).Google Scholar
- H. Schwarz, Proc. of Second Workshop on Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena, (1971), H. Schwarz and H. Hora, eds., Plenum Press, p. 207.Google Scholar
- C. Yamanaka, Proc. of the Second Workshop on Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena (1971), H. Schwarz and H. Hora, eds., Plenum Press, p. 481.Google Scholar
- D.W. Koopman, Univ. of Md. Tech. Note BN-698 (1971).Google Scholar
- D.W. Koopman, Modem Optical Methods in Gas Dynamics Research, Dosanjh, ed., p. 177, Plenum Press (1971).Google Scholar