The Use of Uranium Aluminide Powders in Nuclear Reactor Fuel Elements
The use of uranium aluminide powders in dispersion-type, aluminum-clad fuel elements has been investigated. Fuel plates, made by powder metallurgical techniques, using these powders, have been fabricated and tested under a variety of conditions. These tests have shown this approach to be satisfactory for use in the preparation of fuel elements for high-flux nuclear reactors.
KeywordsFuel Element Boron Content Fuel Material Annual Progress Report Fuel Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Saller, H. A., “Preparation, Properties and Cladding of Aluminum-Uranium Alloys,” in: Progress in Nuclear Energy, Series V, Metallurgy and Fuels, H. M. Finniston and J. P. Howe (eds.), McGraw-Hill Book Company (New York), 1956, pp. 535–543.Google Scholar
- 2.Thurber, W. C., and R. J. Beaver, “Silicon-Modified Uranium-Aluminum Alloys for Foreign Reactor Applications,” in: American Institute of Mining Metallurgy Petroleum Engineers, Institute Metals Division Special Report, Series No. 5, No. 7, 1958, pp. 57–62.Google Scholar
- 3.Kalish, H. S., H. H. Hausner, et al., “Uranium Alloys,” in: Reactor Handbook, Vol. I, Materials, C. R. Tipton (ed.), Interscience Publishers Co., Inc. (New York), 1960, p. 174.Google Scholar
- 4.Cunningham, J. E., R. J. Beaver, W. C. Thurber, and R. C. Waugh, “Fuel Dispersions in Aluminum-Base Elements for Research Reactors,” Fuel Elements Conference, Paris, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission Report, TID-7546, 1957, p. 271.Google Scholar
- 5.Eding, H. J., and E. M. Carr, High Purity Uranium Compounds—Final Report, Argonne National Laboratory, ANL-6339, 1961.Google Scholar
- 8.Graber, M. J., W. F. Zelezny, and G. W. Gibson, Annual Progress Report on Reactor Fuels and Materials Development for FY 1964, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission Report, IDO-17037, November 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.Francis, W. C. (ed.), Annual Progress Report on Reactor Fuels and Materials Development for FY 1965, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission Report, IDO-17154, February 1966.Google Scholar