On the Mechanisms of Sintering
The first part of the paper describes the effect of the green density on the sintering rate of carbonyl nickel powder. These results show that the sintering rate decreases during the sintering according to a behavior more complex than usually assumed. In the second part, a new working hypothesis on the sintering mechanism is developed. The main idea is that the decreasing sintering rate is due to a simultaneous decrease both in the porosity of the compact and in the dislocation density near the pores, the latter being necessary for vacancy destruction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mäkipirtti, S. (Dissertation), “On the Sintering of W-Ni-Cu Heavy Metal,” Acta Polytech. Scand., Mech. Eng. Ser. 7: 1959.Google Scholar
- 2.Mäkipirtti, S., “On the Sintering of W-Ni-Cu Heavy Metal,” in: W. Leszynski (ed.), Powder Metallurgy (New York), 1961.Google Scholar
- 3.Metalworking News, Jan. 15, 1964.Google Scholar
- 4.Cf. Lenel, F. V., et al., “The Influence of Gravity in Sintering,” Trans. AIME227: 640–644 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.Evans, P. E., and D. W. Ashell, “Grain Growth in Sintered Nickel Powder,” Intern. J. Powder Metallurgy 1: 36(1965).Google Scholar
- 6.De Hoff, R. T., et al, “The Role of Interparticle Contacts in Sintering,” in: W. Leszynski (ed.), Powder Metallurgy (New York), 1961.Google Scholar
- 7.Tikkanen, M. H., “The Part of Volume and Grain Boundary Diffusion in the Sintering of One-Phase Metallic Systems,” Planseeber. Pulvermet. 11: 70–81 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.Tikkanen, M. H., and S. Mäkipirtti, “A New Phenomenological Sintering Equation,” Intern. J. Powder Metallurgy 1: 15–22 (1965).Google Scholar
- 9.Cf. van Bueren, H. G., and J. Hornstra, in: J. H. De Boer et al. (eds.), Grain Boundaries and the Sintering Mechanism in Reactivity of Solids (Amsterdam), 1961;Google Scholar
- 9a.and F. V. Lenel, “Sintering of Metal Powders,” in: Fundamental Phenomena in Material Sciences, Vol. 1, Sintering and Plastic Deformation, Plenum Press (New York), 1964, pp. 3–10.Google Scholar