Thermographic Characteristics of the Scrotum in the Infertile Male
Varicocele is a frequent cause of male infertility, and small varicoceles may be just as pathological as large ones. Slight changes in blood flow into the internal spermatic vein (ISV) are frequently difficult to detect by clinical examination only. These inpalpable vascular changes can be the cause of “idiopathic” infertility. In the last eight years we have tested some methods (thermography, plate thermography, phlebography and angioscintigraphy)1,2 which have been found valuable in the diagnosis of venous insufficiency and varices of the ISV.
KeywordsMale Infertility Venous Insufficiency Warm Blood Internal Spermatic Vein PAMPINIFORM Plexus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. Vlaisavljevic, B. Gorisek, M. Picajt, The thermographie diagnosis of varicocele, Zdrav Vestn 48: 415 (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.V. Vlaisavljevic, B. Zakotnik, J. Subic, R. Breznik, E. Borko, Use of radioisotope angioscintigraphy in diagnostics of male infertility, Zdrav Vestn 51 (in press) (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Kormano, K. Kahanpaa, U. Svinhufvud, E. Tahti, Thermography of varicocele, Fertil. Steril. 21: 558 (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.J. P. Amiel, L. Vignalou, J. Tricoire, B. Jamain, J. H. Ravina, Thermographie du testicule, J. Gynecol. Obstet. Biol. Reprod. (Paris) 5: 917 (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.F. Comhaire, R. Monteyne, M. Kunnen, The value of scrotal thermography as compared with selective retrograde venography of the internal spermatic vein for the diagnosis of “subclinical” varicocele, Fertil. Steril. 27: 694 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.H. R. Gold, R. M. Erlich, B. Samuels, A. Dowdy, R. T. Young, Scrotal thermography, Radiology 122: 129 (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.C. H. Jones, W. F. Hendry, Thermographie examination of the scrotum, Acta Thermographica 4: 38 (1979).Google Scholar