A Diffusion Disc Susceptibility Test for 5-Fluorocytosine
A diffusion disc test for testing with 5-Fluorocytosine (5-FC) was described. A commercial 1 ug and an experimental 10 ug disc were evaluated using Yeast Morphology Agar supplemented with 2.5 ug/ml of thiamine at pH 5.0. Zones of inhibition were correlated with MIC values obtained with a modification of the ICS agar dilution procedure using the same agar.
Excellent correlation was obtained between MIC values and zones of inhibition produced by both discs. However, the 10 ug disc proved superior to the 1 ug disc in prediction of susceptibility of pathogenic yeasts, particularly with Cryptococcus neoformans.
KeywordsCandida Albicans Candida Species Cryptococcus Neoformans Disc Test Diffusion Disc Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dept. Health, Education and Welfare, Food and Drug Administration (USA). (1971) Fed.Reg., 36, 6899.Google Scholar
- 2.Ericsson, H.M. and Sherris, J.C. (1971) Acta Pathol.Microbiol. Scand. Suppl., 217, 1.Google Scholar
- 3.Marks, M.I.and Eickhoff, T.C. (1971) Antimicrob.Ag.Chemother., 1970, 491.Google Scholar
- 4.Scholer, H.J. and Polak, A. (1973) Symposium International de Mycologie Medicale, Bucharest, September 20th - 22nd.Google Scholar
- 5.Shadomy, S., Shadomy, H.J., McCay, J.A. and Utz, J.P. (1969) Antimicrob.Ag.Chemother., 1963, 452.Google Scholar
- 6.Shadowy, S. (1970) Infection and Immunity, 2, 484.Google Scholar