Euphausiid Predation on Larval Anchovy at Two Contrasting Sites Off California Determined with an Elispot Immunoassay
Understanding the processes affecting recruitment is a fundamental objective in fishery research. Starvation and preation are believed to be the major factors influencing survival of young fish (Hunter, 1984), and mortality due to these two factors must be quantified to understand how they control recruitment of young fish to a fish stock.
KeywordsEarly Life History Young Fish Jack Mackerel Offshore Site Larval Anchovy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahlstrom, E.H. 1959. Vertical distribution of pelagic fish eggs and larvae off California and Baja California, U.S. Wildl. Serv. Fish. Bull. 60: 107–146.Google Scholar
- Alvariño, A. 1980. The relation between the distribution of zoopalnkton predators and anchovy larvae. Calif. Coop. Oceanic Fish, invest. Rep. 21: 150–160.Google Scholar
- Brinton, E. 1976. Population biology of Euphausia pacifica off southern California. Fish. Bull. U.S. 74: 733–762.Google Scholar
- Brinton, E. and J.G. Wyllie. 1976. Distributional atlas of euphausiid growth stages off southern California, 1953 through 1956. CalCOFI (Calif. coop. ocean. Fish. Invest.) Atlas No. 24.Google Scholar
- Hunter, J.R. 1984. Inferences regarding predation on the early life stages of cod and other fishes. Flodevigen rapportser. 1, The propagation of cod, Gadus morhua L.: 533–562.Google Scholar
- Lasker, R. 1975. Field criteria for survival of anchovy larvae: the relation between inshore chlorophyll maximum layers and successful first feeding. Fish. Bull. U.S. 73: 453–462.Google Scholar
- O’Connell, C.P. 1980. Percent of starving northern anchovy larvae (Engraulis mordax) in the sea as estimated by histological methods. Fish. Bull. U.S. 78: 475–489.Google Scholar
- Theilacker, G.H. 1986. Starvation-induced mortality of young sea-caught jack mackerel, rranchurus symmetricus, determined with histological and morphological methods. Fish. Bull. U.S. 84: 1–17.Google Scholar
- Westernhagen, H. von and H. Rosenthal. 1976. Predator-prey relationship between pacific herring, Clupea harengus pallasi, larvae and a predatory hyperiid amphipod, Hyperoche medusarum. Fish. Bull. 74: 669–674.Google Scholar