Antiluciferase Immunogold Labeling of two Different Organelles in the Marine Dinoflagellate Gonyaulax Polyedra
Bioluminescent marine dinoflagellates emit brief (100 msec) and bright (1010 photons) flashes upon stimulation (Krasnow et al., 1980). Although it has been known that such flashes originate from subcellular sites, their identity and cellular relationships had not been established (Fogel et al., 1972; Johnson et al., 1985).
KeywordsDense Body Immunogold Label Vacuolar Membrane Cytoplasmic Bridge Subcellular Site
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DeMey, J. 1983. Colloidal Gold Probes. IN: Immunocytochemistry. J.M. Polak and S. Van Noorden (eds.). Wright-PSG, Bristol, London, Boston, pp. 82–112.Google Scholar
- Hastings, J.W. 1986. Bioluminescence in bacteria and dinoflagellates. IN: Light Emission in Plants and Bacteria. J. Amesz Govindjee and D.C. Fork. (eds.). Academic Press, NY. pp. 363–398.Google Scholar
- Hausman, K., 1978. Extrusive organelles in Protists. Int. Rev. Cytol. 52: 198–276.Google Scholar
- Johnson, C.H., S. Inoue, A. Flint and J.W. Hastings. 1985. Compartmentation of algal bioluminescence: autofluorescence of bioluminescent particles in the dinoflagellate Gonyaulax as studied with image intensified video microscopy and flow cytometry. J. Cell Biol. 100: 1435–1446.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Krasnow, R., J. Dunlap, W. Taylor and J.W. Hastings. 1980. Circadian spontaneous bioluminsecent glow and flashing of Gonyaulax polyedra. J. Comp. Physiol. 138: 19–26.Google Scholar
- Marty, F., D. Branton and R.A. Leigh. 1980. Plant Vacuoles. IN: The Biochemistry of Plants. P.K. Stumpf and E.E. Conn. (eds.). Academic Press. 1: 625–658.Google Scholar
- Nawata, T and T. Siboaka. 1979. Coupling between action potential and bioluminescence in Noctiluca: Effects of inorganic ions and pH in vacuolar sap. J. Comp. Physiol. 134: 137–149.Google Scholar
- Nicolas, M.-T., B.M. Sweeney and J.W. Hastings. 1986. Ultrastructural localization of luciferase in Phyrocystis (Pyrrophyta) by immuno-gold labelling. J. Cell Sci. in press.Google Scholar