Preparation of Model Haptens to Express Common Epitopes of PSP Toxins
Massive dinoflagellate blooms in coastal waters are the cause of the phenomenon known as “red tide” (Boyer et al., 1979). Unfortunately, these organisms produce an extremely potent group of tetrahydropurine-based toxins known as the paralytic shellfish poisons (PSP) (Hall et al., 1984). This group of compounds serves as a significant potential risk to humans through the ingestion of shellfish which bioaccumulate the PSP.
KeywordsCarboxylic Acid Group Paralytic Shellfish Poison Lithium Aluminum Hydride Paralytic Shellfish Paralytic Shellfish Poison Toxin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1984. SPI-OBA IN: Official Methods of Analysis. S. Williams (ed.). 14th Edition, Washington, D.C. p. 344.Google Scholar
- Bose, R.J. and J.E. Reid. 1979. Evidence for the Heterogeneity of Paralytic Shellfish Toxin in Clam and Mussel Samples Gathered near Prince Rupert, British Columbia. IN: Toxic Dinoflagellate Blooms. D.L. Taylor and H.H. Seliger. (eds.). Elsevier North Holland, Inc., New York, NY. pp. 399–402.Google Scholar
- Boyer, G.L., C.F. Wichmann, J. Mosser, E.J. Schantz and H.K. Schnoes. 1979. Toxins Isolated from Bay of Fundy Scallops. IN: Toxic Dinoflagellate Blooms. D.L. Taylor and H.H. Seliger. (eds.). Elsevier North Holland, Inc., New York, NY. pp. 373–376.Google Scholar
- McFarren, E.F., E.J. Schantz, J.E. Campbell and K.H. Lewis. 1958. Chemical Determination of Paralytic Shellfish Poison in Clams. J. Assoc. Off. Agric. Chem. 41: 168.Google Scholar
- Rodricks, J.V. and H. Rapoport. 1971. Synthesis of Cyclic Guanidines. J. Org. Chem. 36: 46.Google Scholar
- Shimizu, Y. and E. Ragelis. 1979. Alternatives to the Mouse Assay. IN: Toxic Dinoflagellate Blooms. D.L. Taylor and H.H. Seliger (eds.). Elsevier North Holland, Inc., New York, NY. pp. 453–455.Google Scholar
- Snyder, H.R. and H.C. Geller. 1952. Cleavage of Sulfonamides with Aqueous Hydrobromic Acid and Phenol. II. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 74: 4864.Google Scholar
- Snyder, H. R. and R.E. Heckert. 1952. A Method for the Rapid Cleavage of Sulfonamides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 74: 2006.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, J.J. and W.T. Iwaoka. 1982. High Pressure Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Toxins Associated with Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 66: 297.Google Scholar