Measuring, Stimulating and Utilizing Marine Productivity
A variety of methods have been tried for estimating primary production, or annual production of plant material in the sea. Dr. Harvey of Plymouth suggested that as all plants contain chlorophyll and animals do not, measuring chlorophyll would be a good way of estimating phytoplankton abundance.1(Phytoplankton cannot be physically separated from zooplankton and weighed.) He extracted the chlorophyll from water samples and measured it in an ingenious instrument he had designed himself. However, the assumption that all the marine plants contain the same amount of chlorophyll relative to the weight of living material in them cannot really be accepted, so the method gives only approximate results.
KeywordsGeiger Counter Radioactive Carbonate Atoll Lagoon Shallow Bank Marine Fish Farm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harvey, H. W. 1934. ‘Measurement of Phytoplankton Populations.’ J. Mar. Biol. Assn. U.K. 19 (2): 761–3.Google Scholar
- 3.Steeman-Nielsen, E. 1953. ‘Measuring the production of the sea.’ The ‘Galathaea’ Deep Sea Expedition. George Allen & Unwin, London: 53–64.Google Scholar
- 4.Jackson P. 1954. ‘Engineering and Economic Aspects of Marine plankton Harvesting.’ J. du Conseil, Exp. Mer. Copenhagen 20: 167–74.Google Scholar
- 5.Isaacs J. D., and Schmitt W. R. J. du Conseil Exp. Mer Copenhagen 33(1): 20–26.Google Scholar
- 6.Lin S. Y. 1968 Milkfish Farming in Taiwan Rept 3. Taiwan Fisheries Research Institute.Google Scholar
- 7.Pakrasi B., Das P., and Thakurta S. 1964. Culture of brackish-water fishes in impoundments in West BengaL Indo-Pacific Fish. Coun. 11. Tech Document 19.Google Scholar
- 8.Hickling C.F. 1971. Fish Culture 2nd edn. Faber & Faber, London.Google Scholar
- 9.Tang Y.A., and Chen T.P. 1966. ‘A survey of the algal pastures of Milkfish ponds in Taiwan’. F.A.O. symposium on warm-water fish culture. Rome 1966.Google Scholar
- 10.Kalle K. 1953. `Der Einfluss des englischen Küstenwassers duf den Chemismus der Wasserkorper in der südlichen Nordsee.’ Ber. DeutschWiss. Komm. f Meeresf XIII (2): 130–135.Google Scholar