Magnetic Susceptibility, Proton NMR and Muon Spin Rotation (μSR) Studies of an Unsupported Platinum Catalyst with Adsorbed H and O
The effects of adsorbed H and O upon the strong intrinsic magnetism exhibited by small particles of platinum have been studied by magnetic susceptibility measurements, proton NMR and muon spin rotation. All work to date has been on very pure samples of an unsupported Pt catalyst prepared by chemical reduction techniques. Dispersions of the samples are in the range.12–.20. The effect of adsorbed H is slight, but O increases the Curie-Weiss susceptibility of the catalysts substantially at low temperatures. H, however, sharply decreases both the spin-lattice relaxation rate of protons in the samples, whose NMR signals are observable at 4.2K, and the transverse field relaxation rate of muons stopped in the samples.
KeywordsPetroleum Platinum Assure Chemisorption Haas
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P. Van Rheenen, M. McKelvy, W.S. Glaunsinger and R.F. Marzke, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 26, 415 (1981). See also P. Van Rheenen, Ph.D. Thesis, Arizona State University, 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.M.J. McKelvy, P. Van Rheenen, W.S. Glaunsinger and R.F. Marzke, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 26, 416 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.M.A. Vannice, J.E. Benson and M. Boudart, J. Catal. 16, 348 (1970). See also reference 3.Google Scholar
- 8.H.T. Stokes, H.E. Rhodes, P. Wang, C.P. Slichter and J. H. Sinfelt in Nuclear and Electron Spectroscopies Applied to Materials Science, edited by E.N. Kaufman and G.K. Shenoy ( North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1981 ), p. 253.Google Scholar
- 10.J.R. Anderson, Structure of Metallic Catalysts. ( Academic Press, London, 1975 ), p. 296.Google Scholar
- 12.J.A. Mydosh and G.J. Nieuwenhuys in Ferromagnetic Materials, edited by E.B. Wohlfarth ( North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1980 ), p. 167.Google Scholar