Superconductivity in Metal-Hydrogen Systems
The experimental situation for superconductivity in metals charged with hydrogen or deuterium is reviewed. The original idea for a definite modification of the electronic properties of the metal by the addition of H(D) interstitials has to be modified, since the H(D) atoms also dramatically change the phonon system as well as the electron-phonon interaction itself. The different influences of the H(D) addition are demonstrated for the well studied case of H(D) charged Pd alloys. The difficulties in charging these alloys have been solved with several experimental techniques, i.e. with high pressure or electrolytic charging at lower temperatures as well as by H(D) implantation into metals at liquid helium temperatures. These methods have been applied not only to other transition metals but also to a series of non-transition metals. The results of these measurements, mostly performed with the low temperature implantation technique, are discussed. It will become obvious that the model developed for the PdH system cannot unambiguously explain all these data.
KeywordsIsotope Effect Optic Phonon Spin Fluctuation Optic Phonon Mode Solid State Comm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.T. Skoskiewicz, Phys.Status Solididi (a) 11:K 123 (1972)Google Scholar
- 5.B.W. Roberts, J. Physical and Chemical Reference Data 5:581 (1976) and NBS Technical Note 983Google Scholar
- 6.Review papers with additional references: B. Stritzker and H. Wühl in: Topics in Applied Physics, Vol. 29, Hydrogen in Metals II, G. Alefeld and J. Völkl, eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1978) p. 243Google Scholar
- 9.M. Gupta, this conference proceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 11.A. Leiberich, W. Scholz, W.J. Standish and C.G. Homan, Phys.Lett. 87A:57 (1981) and this conference proceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 12.R.W. Standley and C.B. Satterthwaite, this conference proceedings and references therinGoogle Scholar
- 19.H. Bernas and P. Nedellec, Nucl.Instr. and Methods 182/183: 845 (1981) and references thereinGoogle Scholar
- 22.A.M. Lamoise, J. Chaumont, F. Meunier and H. Bernas, J.Phys.Lett. (Paris) 36:L 271 and L 305 (1975)Google Scholar
- 23.F. Ochmann and B. Stritzker, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 24.F. Ochmann, J.D. Meyer and B. Stritzker, Physica 107B: 655 (1981)Google Scholar
- 25.B.W. Nedrud and D.M. Ginsberg, Physica 108B: 1175 (1981)Google Scholar