Recent Trends in Particle Physics
Until about 1932, only three particles were regarded as elementary, namely, electron (e), proton (p) and neutrino (v). Still there is something special about these three particles in that they are the only stable particles, electron and neutrino are regarded as absolutely stable while the experimental upper limit on the life time of the proton is τp ≥ 2(1030) years.
KeywordsGauge Group Vector Boson Electromagnetic Force Color Singlet Grand Unification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.W.Lee, Physics & Contemporary Needs, Vol.l. page 321 (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.Abdus Salam, ibid, page 301.Google Scholar
- 3.Abdus Salam, Physics & Contemporary Needs, Vol.2,page 419(1977).Google Scholar
- 4.Riazuddin, Physics & Contemporary Needs, Vol. 3, page 515 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.S.Weinberg, Proceedings of 19th Int.Conf.on High Energy Physics, Tokyo, page 907 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.Abdus Salam, ibid, page 933.Google Scholar
- 7.J.D.Jackson, C.Quigg and L.Rosner, ibid, page 391.Google Scholar
- 8.J.Ellis in ‘Weak and Electromagnetic Interactions at High Energy’, Les Houches Session XXIX (1976) (North Holland, 1977).Google Scholar