X-ray Spectrometric Determination of Thorium in Purified Uranium Materials
An X-ray spectrometric method for the determination of thorium in a variety of purified uranium materials is presented. The thorium is separated from the uranium prior to X-ray determination by a 2-thenoyltrifluoroacetone-xylene extraction. An acid solution of the reextracted thorium is irradiated in a 100-kv X-ray spectrograph after the addition of strontium as an internal standard. A statistical study indicates a limit of error of ± 7.7 ppm over the concentration range from 100 to 1000 ppm of thorium.
KeywordsChemical Separation Uranyl Nitrate Lithium Fluoride Uranium Metal Thorium Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.O. Fulda, Determination of Traces of Thorium in Uranium Solutions, USAEC Report DP-165, June 1956.Google Scholar
- 2.P. G. Laux and E. A. Brown, “Determination of Thorium in Uranium Metal,” Summary Tech. Rpt., USAEC Report NLCO-760, pp. 111–115, Sept. 1958.Google Scholar
- 3.P. G. Laux and E. A. Brown, Determination of Thorium in Uranium Ores and Feeds by Solvent Extraction Employing Thenoyltrifluoracetone, USAEC Report NLCO-742, May 23, 1958.Google Scholar
- 4.J. F. Moskal and H. A. Heller, “X-ray Spectrometric Determination of Thorium in Uranium Concentrates,” Summary Tech. Rpt., USAEC Report NLCO-785, pp. 143–148, Apr. 15, 1959 (Classified).Google Scholar
- 5.G. R. Blank and H. A. Heller, “X-ray Spectrometric Determination of Copper in Tin,” Summary Tech. Rpt., USAEC Report NLCO-805, pp. 81–85, Apr. 29, 1960.Google Scholar
- 6.G. R. Blank and H. A. Heller, “X-ray Spectrometric Determination of Copper, Tin and Uranium in Bronze Heat-Treating Material,” in Advances in X-ray Analysis, Vol. 4, edited by W. M. Mueller, Plenum Press, New York, 1960.Google Scholar
- 8.R. C. Sackville, “Colorimetric Determination of Thorium in Uranium Bearing Solutions,” Eldorado Analytical Methods Manual AM-117, Eldorado Mining and Refining Co. Limited, May 1955.Google Scholar