Physics of in-Situ Oxide Superconducting Thin Films Deposition
The physics of the in-situ laser deposition process is reviewed. Emphasis will be placed on the use of excimer lasers, and the deposition of Y-Ba-Cu-O thin films. It is shown that the laser target interaction conditions, and the properties of the laser generated plume are inducive to the formation of high quality films. In addition to the formation of energetic atomic beams, laser deposition is also highly compatible with reactive deposition which make it suitable for oxide and nitride films. An in-situ diagnostic technique is introduced which is capable of detecting the interfacial boundary layer between the film and the substrate. It is also shown that post-deposition in-situ oxidation is necessary for the formation of superconducting films..
KeywordsExcimer Laser Atomic Beam Plasma Plume Reflective High Energy Electron Diffraction Nitride Film
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.M.I. Baleva, M.H. Maksimov, S.M. Metev and M.S. Sendova, J. Mat. Res. Lett. 5, 533 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.H.S. Kwok, P. Mattocks, D.T. Shaw, L. Shi, X.W. Wang, S. Witanachchi and J.P. Zheng, Appl. Phys. Lett. 52, 1825 (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.I.P. Shkarofsky, RCA Review, 35, 49 (1974).Google Scholar
- 13.R. Kelley and R.W. Dreyfus, Surface Science, 198, 263(1988).Google Scholar
- 14.J.P. Zheng, Z.Q. Huang, Q.Y. Ying, D.T. Shaw and H.S. Kwok, Appl. Phys. Lett. 54, 280 (1989).Google Scholar
- 16.J.B. Anderson, R.P. Andres and J.B. Fenn, Adv. Chem. Phys. 1Q, 275 (1966).Google Scholar
- 17.A. Namiki, T. Kawai and K. Ichige, Surface Science, 166, 129(1986).Google Scholar
- 19.R. Kelly in Photochemistry in Thin Films, p.258, ed. by T.F. George, SPIE Proc. vol.1056, 1989.Google Scholar
- 20.D.B. Geohegan and D.N. Mashburn, presented at Third Annual Buffalo Conference on Superconductivity and Applications, Buffalo, NY 1989.Google Scholar
- 21.M. Fraeastoro-Decker, J.S. Ferreira, N. Gomes and F. Decker, Thin Solid Films, 142, 291 (1989).Google Scholar