The Design and Implementation of a Distributed Database System
This paper describes what has been learnt from the experience of implementing a local area network and a distributed data base system. Solutions for those typical issues arising from the distribution of data and processing power, including the connection of different operating systems, distributed query processing, and concurrent control, are presented.
KeywordsQuery Processing Concurrency Control Access Path Synchronization Protocol Distribute Database System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. M. Astrahan, M. W. Blasgen, D. D. Chamberlin, K. P. Eswaran, J. N. Gray, P. P. Griffiths, W. F. King, R. A. Lorie, P. R. McJones, J. W. Mehl, G. R. Putzolu, I. L. Traiger, B. W. Wade, and V. Watson, “System R: A relational approach to database management,” TODS, Vol. 1, No. 2, June 1976.Google Scholar
- P. A. Bernstein, D. W. Shipman, and J. B. Rothnie, “Concurrency control in a system for distributed databases (SDD-1),” ACM TODS, Vol. 5, No. 1, March 1980.Google Scholar
- M. Stonebraker, E. Wong, P. Kreps, and G. Held, “The design and implementation of INGRES,” TODS, Vol. 1, No. 3, September 1976.Google Scholar
- P. A. Bernstein and D. M. Chiu, “Using semi-joins to solve relational queries,” JACM, Vol. 28, No. 1, January 1981.Google Scholar
- P. T. Chang and J. S. Ke, “Optimization of query processing in distributed database systems,” Proc. of ICS 82, Taichung, December 1982.Google Scholar
- C. H. Chang, C. F. Wang, and J. S. Ke, “Query processing in a distributed database system,” Proc. of NCS 83, Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., 1983.Google Scholar
- J. S. Ke, L. C. Liu, H. L. Chen, and Y. A. Pan, “Design and implementation of a front end processor in the RSX-11/M environment,” Proc. of NCS 83, Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., 1983.Google Scholar
- C. L. Lin, C. C. Lu, and J. S. Ke, “IISNET: A unix-based computer network operating system,” Proc. of NCS 83, Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., 1983.Google Scholar
- C. C. Lu, C. L. Lin, and J. S. Ke, “Enhanced interprocess communication mechanisms for UNIX,” Proc. of ICS 82, Taichung, December 1982.Google Scholar
- J. B. Rothnie, Jr., P. A. Bernstein, S. Fox, N. Goodman, M. Hammer, T. A. Landers, C. Reeve, D. W. Shipman, and E. Wong, “Introduction to a system for distributed databases (SDD-1), ” ACM TODS, Vol. 5, No. 1, March 1980.Google Scholar