The endocrine system is composed of a group of ductless glands which synthesise, may store, and can release into the blood stream those agents called hormones. The synthesis of hormones can be stimulated or inhibited by other substances generally called releasing or inhibiting factors.
KeywordsThyroid Stimulate Hormone Endocrine System Anabolic Steroid Thyrotrophin releaSing Hormone Precocious Puberty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Hypothalamus and Pituitary
- Bateman, D.N., Dahn, C., Mashiter, I. and Davies, D.S. (1978) Pharmacokinetic and Concentration-Effect Studies with Intravenous Metoclopramide’, Br. J. Clin. Pharm, 6, 401–407Google Scholar
- Grossman, A., Nieuwenhuyzen Kruseman, A.C., Perry, L., Tomlin, S., Schally, A.V., Coy, D.H., Rees, L.H., Comaru-Schally, A-M. and Besser, G.M. (1982) `New Hypothalamic Hormone, Corticotrophin-releasing Factor Specifically Stimulates the Release of Adrenocorticotropic Hormone and Cortisol in Man’, Lancet, i, 921–922CrossRefGoogle Scholar
The Adrenal Gland
- Forsyth, C.C. (1981) `Growth and Development of the Adrenal Cortex’, in Scientific Foundations of Paediatrics, 2nd edn (eds Davis, J.A. and Dobbing, J., Heinemann, London ), pp. 660–691Google Scholar
- Brennan, M.D. (1980) `Clinical Pharmacology: Thyroid Hormones’, Mayo Clin. Proc, 15, 33–44Google Scholar
- Collen, RJ., Landau, E.M., Kaplan, S.A. and Lippe, B.M. (1980) `Remission Rates of Children and Adolescents Treated with Anti-thyroid Drugs’, Pediatrics, 65, 550–556Google Scholar
- Skellern, G.G., Knight, B.I., Low, C.K.L., Alexander, W.D., McLarty, D.G. and Kalk, W.J. (1980) `The Pharmacokinetics of Methmazole after Oral Administration of Carbimazole and Methimazole in Hyperthyroid Patients’, Br. J. Qin. Pharm, 9, 137–143Google Scholar
The Endocrine Pancreas
- Frost, D.P., Srivastava, M.C., Jones, R.H., Nabarro, J.D.N. and Sonksen, P.H. (1973) `The Kinetics of Insulin Metabolism in Diabetes Mellitus’, Postgrad. Med. J, (December suppl.), 49, 949–954Google Scholar
- Kovisto, V. and Felig, P. (1980) `Alterations in Insulin Absorption and in Blood Glucose Control Associated with Varying Insulin Injection Sites in Diabetic Patients’, Ann. Intern. Med, 92, 59–61Google Scholar
- Kelly, V.C. and Ruvalcaba, R.H.A. (1982) `Use of Anabolic Agents in Treatment of Short Children’, Clin. Endoc. Metab, 11, 26–39Google Scholar
- Norman, M.W. (1982) `Vitamin D in Bone Disease’, Pediat. Clin. N. Am, 29, 947–971Google Scholar