Recent Advances in the Double Isotope Derivative Analysis of Steroids
The first description of the successful use of acetic anhydride-H3 for double-isotope derivative analysis of aldosterone and other steroids appeared in 1960 . Since then, this methodology has been modified by many laboratories and applied to a variety of steroids in diverse biological fluids. The original methods were described in previous symposia [2, 3]. The purpose of this paper is to summarize several changes in methodology and new applications of such methods in one laboratory. Other workers have developed and applied their own modifications, which are too numerous to review here. The purpose of these changes is to provide greater reliability, speed, and sensitivity for analyses of steroids in biologic samples. The general method is applied to selective assay of specific steroids, with a range of sensitivity to 0.01 µg using 100 mc/mmole acetic anhydride-H3.
KeywordsAcetic Anhydride Adrenal Vein Chromium Trioxide Cortisone Acetate Acetate Derivative
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kliman, B., and Peterson, R.E., J. Biol. Chem. 235: 1639, 1960.Google Scholar
- 2.Peterson, R.E., in Rothchild, S. (editor), Advances in Tracer Methodology Vol. 1, Plenum Press, New York, 1963.Google Scholar
- 3.Kliman, B., in Rothchild, S. (editor), Advances in Tracer Methodology Vol. 2, Plenum Press, New York, 1965.Google Scholar
- 4.Dufau, M.L., and Kliman, B., VI Pan-American Congress of Endocrinology, Mexico City, October 1965, Excerpta Medica International Congress Series No. 99.Google Scholar
- 5.Kliman, B., Scoggins, R.B., Apple, B. A., and Rausch-Stroomann, J.G., Plasma Double-Isotope Cortisol for Evaluation of Adrenal Suppression, Program of 46th Endocrine Society Meeting, San Francisco, 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.Kliman, B. Hormonal Steroids, Milan, Italy, May 1966, Excerpta Medica International Congress Series No. 111.Google Scholar
- 9.Kliman, B., and Briefer, Jr., C., in Grant, J.N. (editor), International Symposium on the Gas—Liquid Chromatography of Steroids, Glasgow, April 1966, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England.Google Scholar
- 10.Briefer, Jr., C., Forbes, A.P., and Kliman, B., Program of 47th Endocrine Society Meeting, New York, 1965.Google Scholar