Biosonar Signal Processing Applications
Dolphins have a sophisticated echolocation, or sonar, system that is well adapted to their environment. Given that it serves the animal well, one might ask how the dolphin sonar compares to man made sonars, and if there is anything useful one might apply from knowledge of the dolphin's echolocation system. In this paper we will compare the capabilities of dolphin sonar to some existing manufactured sonars, identify important differences between the two systems, and describe methods by which manmade sonars could be improved using our current knowledge of dolphin sonars.
KeywordsBeam Pattern Range Resolution Critical Band Azimuth Resolution Echolocation Signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous, 1986, The vector signal processor, Electronics, July 24, 59 - 66.Google Scholar
- Au, W. W. L. and Hammer, C. E., 1980, Target recognition via echolocation by Tursiops truncatus, in: "Animal Sonar Systems," R.-G. Busnel and J. F. Fish, eds., Plenum Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Au, W. W. L., Schusterman, R. J., and Kersting, 1980, Sphere-cylinder discrimination via echolocation, in: "Animal Sonar System," R.-G. Busnel and J. F. Fish, eds., Plenum Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Batberger, C. L., 1965, Lecture notes on underwater acoustics, Air Warfare Res. Dept. Rep. No. NADC-WR-6509.Google Scholar
- Burdic, W. S., 1968, "Radar Signal Analysis," Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Desilets, C. S., Fraser, J. D., and Gordon, S. K., 1978, The design of efficient broadband piezoelectric transducers, IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics, su-25, 115.Google Scholar
- Heyser, R. C., 1986, Broadband ultrasonic transducers, Jet Propulsion Laboratory invention report NPO-16590/5909Google Scholar
- Martin, D. M., and Au, W. W. L., 1982, Aural discrimination of targets by human subjects using broadband sonar pulses, Naval Ocean Systems Center TR 847.Google Scholar
- Martin, D. W., and Au, W. W. L., 1986, Investigation of broadband sonar classification cues, Naval Ocean Systems Center TR 1123.Google Scholar
- Murchison, A. E., 1980, Detection range and range resolution of echolocating bottlenose porpoise (Tursiops truncatus), in: "Animal Sonar Systems," R. G. Busnel and J. F. Fish, eds., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar