Recent Results in the Application of μSR to the Study of Magnetic Properties of High-Tc Oxides
An overview is given of recent muon spin rotation-relaxation (μSR) measurements of magnetic penetration depths, λ(T) (with emphasis on the Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O system) and magnetic ordering in its interplay with superconductivity for La2–xSrxrCuO4–y and YBa2Cu3Ox. Available results for the dependence of Tc on carrier concentration in Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O samples of different stoichiometrics depart from the general trends found - and posited to be a universal property of the CuO2 layers - in work on other high-Tc families. More work is required to separate extrinsic factors (vortex lattice morphology, phase inhomogeneities, defect structure) from intrinsic (mechanisms, electronic and crystalline structure) effects, before the significance of empirical correlations vis a vis theoretical explanations can be assessed. Results on magnetic ordering and fluctuations are reviewed in the context of their possible coexistence with superconductivity. It is found that existing μSR data, although yielding tantalizing results, do not provide a complete and unambiguous picture of the interaction between magnetic and superconducting order parameters.
KeywordsSpin Glass Relaxation Function Superconducting Order Parameter Magnetic Fluctuation Increase Carrier Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Y. J. Uemura, Phys. Rev. Lett.62, 2317 (1989), and references therein.Google Scholar
- 7.E. J. Ansaldo 2 S-HTSC, Physica C, in press, (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.R. Lichti et al., J. Appl. Phys. 54, 2361 (1989).Google Scholar
- 13.N. D. Spencer et al., J.J.A.P. 28, L1564, (1989).Google Scholar
- 14.B. Pumpin., Z. Phys. B72, 175 (1988)Google Scholar
- B. Sternlieb 2 S-HTSC, Physica C in press, (1989).Google Scholar
- 15.C. Broholm et al. March APS meeting, B.A.P.S. to be published, (1990).Google Scholar
- 19.Y. J. Uemura et al., Physica C 153–155, 768 (1988).Google Scholar
- 24.J. H. Brewer Phys. Rev. Lett 60, 1073 (1989), and M 2 S-HTSC Physica C in press (1989).Google Scholar
- 27.T. M. Riseman Physica C 153–155, (1988), and M 2 S-HTSC Physica C in press (1989).Google Scholar