Phase Turbulence, Spatiotemporal Intermittency and Coherent Structures
The essentially spatiotemporal dynamics of extended physical systems is still poorly understood. Indeed, in spite of the success of dynamical systems theory to explain the deterministic chaos occurring in confined situations, this approach is unable to handle the complex behaviors appearing when the spatial structure is not frozen. From this point of view, turbulence may be seen as the ultimate complex system, and it seems interesting to study models of extended systems somewhat “simpler” than the Navier-Stokes equations but nevertheless retaining some of the essential physics of the problem.
KeywordsCoherent Structure Dynamical System Theory Continuous Phase Transition Intermittent Regime Phase Turbulence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aimar, M.T., and Penel, P., 1983, Some Numerical Aspects of a Disturbed Premixed Flame Front Study, in Publ. Math. Appl. Marseilles-Toulon, 2.Google Scholar
- Bondarenko, N.F., Gak, M.Z., and Dolzhansky, F.V., 1979, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics 15: 711.Google Scholar
- Chaté, H., Manneville, P., Nicolaenko, B., and She, Z.S., 1988, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Kolmogorov, A.N., 1960, in Seminar Notes edited by V.I. Arnold and L.D. Meshalkin, Uspekhi Mat. Naut. 15: 247.Google Scholar
- Manneville, P., 1988, The Kuramoto-Sivashinsky Equation: a Progress Report, in Propagation in Systems Far from Equilibrium, J.E. Wesfreid et al. ed., Springer.Google Scholar
- Moffatt, H.K., 1987, Geophysical and Astrophysical Turbulence, in Advances in Turbulence, G. Comte-Bellot and J. Mathieu ed., Springer, and references therein.Google Scholar
- Poyé, J.P., 1983, The Rayleigh-Bénard Two-Dimensional Convection in a Fluid between Two Plates of Finite Conductivity, Thesis, Columbia University.Google Scholar
- She, Z.S., 1987a, Instabilités et dynamique à grande échelle en turbulence, Thèse de l’Université Paris 7.Google Scholar
- Hohenberg, P.C. and Shraiman, B.S., 1988, Chaotic Behavior of an Extended System, preprint.Google Scholar