Spatio Temporal Intermittency in Rayleigh-Benard Convection in an Annulus
Spatio temporal intermittency is a problem of great current interest that has been theoretically studied in system of coupled maps [Kaneko; Chate’-Manneville], partial differential equations[Chate’-Manneville;Nicolaenko] and in some cellular automata [Chate’-Ma.nneville; Bagnoli et al.; Livi]. It consists of a fluctuating mixture of laminar and turbulent domains with well defined boundaries. Such a behaviour appears also in Rayleigh Berard convection[Ciliberto-Bigazzi; Berge’] and in boundary layer flows[Van Dyke; Tritton]. We report here a statistical analysis of the onset of spatiotemporal intermittency clone in an experiment of Rayleigh-Benard convection. Our results display features typical of phase transitions similar to those obtained by Chate’-Manneville and Kaneko. In what is following we describe very briefly the experimental apparatus. In section 3) we will show the spatial patterns that preceed the spatiotemporal intermittency. In section 4) we descibe the reduction of the space time evolution to a symbolic dynamic and we report only the main results of the statistical analysis whose details have been the object of a previous paper[Ciliberto-Bigazzi].
KeywordsSpatial Pattern Symbolic Dynamic Space Time Evolution Laminar Region Cold Current
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagnoli F., Ciliberto S., Francescato A., Livi R., Ruffo S., in “Chaos and complexity”, M. Buiatti, S. Ciliberto, R. Livi, S. Ruffo eds., ( World Scientific Singapore 1988 ).Google Scholar
- Berge’ P., in “ The Physics of Chaos and System Far From Equilibrium”, M. Duongvan and B. Nicolaenko, eds. ( Nuclear Physics B, proceedings supplement 1988 ).Google Scholar
- Chate H. Manneville P., Physica D in press; see also these proceedings.Google Scholar
- Crutchfield J., Kaneko K. in “Direction in Chaos”, B.L. Hao (World Scientific Singapore 1987 ).Google Scholar
- Dubois M.,in these prooceedings.Google Scholar
- Livi R., in these prooceedings.Google Scholar
- Muller-Krumbhaar H. in ‘Monte Carlo Method in Statistical Physics“, edited by K.Binder (springer Verlag,New York 1979).Google Scholar
- Nicolaenko B., in “ The Physics of Chaos and System Far From Equilibrium”, M.Duong-van and B.Nicolaenko, eds. ( Nuclear Physics B, proceeding supplement 1988 ). See also these proceedings.Google Scholar
- Pomeau Y., Physica 23D, 3 (1986).Google Scholar
- Tritton D.J., Physical Fluid Dynamics (Van Nostrand Reinold, New York, 1979), Chaps.19–22.Google Scholar
- Van Dyke V.,An Album of Fluid Motion (Parabolic Press,Stanford,1982).Google Scholar
- Nelson D.R., ‘Phase transitions and critical phenomena,’ edited by C. Domb and J.L. Lebowitz (Academic,London 1983 )Google Scholar