Experimental Technique and Data Reduction for High Pressure Kinetics
The experimental technique of high pressure kinetics provides detailed information about the structure and properties of reaction transition states — data which are often unavailable from any other source. In recent years the use of this experimental tool has become much more prevalent, and data are now available for literally thousands of reactions . Therefore, it is especially important at this juncture to review the experimental possibilities and limitations of high pressure kinetics, with emphasis on the types of uncertainties which are inherent in the experiments as well as in the reduction of data. Moreover, it can be demonstrated that careful planning of both the experimental program as well as the method of data reduction can substantially augment the net information obtained for a given quantum of high pressure kinetics effort.
KeywordsTransition State Activation Volume Partial Molal Volume Methyl Iodide Transition State Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.“Activation Volumes and Reaction Volumes 1967–1976,” Special Issue of AV News, Oita Univ., Japan (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.S. D. Hamann, High Pressure Physics and Chemistry, Vol. VII, R. S. Bradley, ed., Academic Press, New York (1963), Ch. 8.Google Scholar
- 5.K. E. Weale, Chemical Reactions at High Pressure, Spon. London (1967).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Heydtmann, A. P. Schmidt, and H. Hartmann, Ber. Bunsenges. phys. Chem. 70, 444 (1966).Google Scholar
- 10.Y. A. Ershov, V. B. Miller, M. B. Neiman, and M. B. Gonikberg, Izvest. Akad. Nauk. S.S.S.R., Otdel. Khim. Nauk., 2103 (1960).Google Scholar
- 13.B. E. Poling and C. A. Eckert, Ind. Eng. Chem. Fund. 11, 451 (1972).Google Scholar
- 14.J. S. Smith and C. A. Eckert, “The Compressibility of the Chemical Reaction Transition State,” to be published.Google Scholar
- 18.C. A. Eckert, S. P. Sawin, and C. K. Hsieh, “An Improved Technique for High Pressure Kinetics,” to be published.Google Scholar
- 28.C. A. Eckert, C. K. Hsieh, J. S. Smith, and S. P. Sawin, “Data Analysis for High Pressure Kinetics,” to be published.Google Scholar