Deuterium/Hydrogen Ratios and Water Content of Some Silicate Melts at High Pressure
Various approaches have been made by different workers to determine the role of water in the mantle or the lower crust. For example, Kuroda et al.  determined the water content of some hydrosilicate minerals under high pressure and high temperature conditions. The stability field of some hydro-silicate minerals was studied by Kushiro , Kushiro et al. , Lambert and Wyllie , Hariya et al. [5,6] and others. The investigations of the role of water on the magma genesis (Allen et al. , Kushiro , and Burnham and Davis ) and the hydrogen and oxygen isotope frac-tionation of hydrous minerals (Kokubo et al. , Sheppard and Epstein , and Kuroda et al. ) also provide valuable information as to the concentration of water in the upper mantle or the lower crust.
KeywordsQuartz Depression Silicate Sodium Chloride Petrol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.I. Kushiro, Carnegie Institute Yearbook 68, 231 (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.I. Kushiro, Y. Syono, and S. Akimoto, Earth & Planet. Sei. Letters 3, 197 (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Hariya and S. Terada, Earth & Planet. Sei. Letters 18, 72 (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Hariya, T. Oba, and S. Terada, in Proceedings 4th AIRAPT Intern. Conference on High Pressure (1974), p. 206.Google Scholar
- 7.J. C. Allen, P. J. Modreski, C. Haygood, and A. L. Boettcher, “The Role of water in the mantle of the earth: The stability of amphibole and mica,” paper presented at the 24th IGC (1972).Google Scholar
- 8.I. Kushiro, Am. J. Sei. 275, 411 (1975).Google Scholar
- 9.C. W. Burnham and N. F. Davis, Am. J. Sei. 270, 54 (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.S. M. F. Sheppard and S. Epstein, Earth & Planet. Sei. Letters 9, 232 (1970).Google Scholar
- 14.Y. Kuroda, T. Suzuoki, and T. Matsuo, Geochem. J. 8, 133 (1974).Google Scholar
- 15.Y. Kuroda, T. Suzuoki, T. Matsuo, and K. Aoki, Contrib. Miner. Petrol. 315 (1975).Google Scholar
- 16.H. Craig and J. E. Lupton, Earth & Planet. Sei. Letters 31, 369 (1976).Google Scholar
- 17.A. L. Boettcher and P. J. Wyllie, Am. J. Sei. 257, 875 (1969).Google Scholar