Anomalous Pressure Dependence of the Superconducting Transition Temperature of Dilute Alloys of LaSn3 Containing Light Rare Earth Impurities
The pressure dependences of the crystalline electric field (CEF) splittings and certain physical properties ascribed to the scattering of conduction electrons by localized magnetic and nonmagnetic states in several rare earth (RE) systems have been found difficult to reconcile with existing theories. Studies of the interesting case of the magnetic behavior of isolated RE ions in a metallic environment are often hampered by a lack of experimental sensitivity when the RE impurity concentration is sufficiently lowered to avoid inter-impurity interaction effects. However, if a suitable superconducting host can be found, information regarding the magnetic State of such impurities in high dilution is easily extracted from measurements of the concentration dependence of the superconducting transition temperature Tc.
KeywordsPressure Dependence Impurity Concentration Total Angular Momentum Superconducting Transition Temperature Point Charge Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Schmid and E. Umlauf, Commun. Phys. 1, 67 (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.M. B. Maple, L. E. DeLong, and B. C. Sales in, Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths, Vol. I, K. A. Gschneidner and L. Eyring, eds., North Holland, Amsterdam (1977), Chapter 11.Google Scholar
- 4.A. A. Abrikosov and L. P. Gor’kov, Sov. Phys. JETP 12, 1243 (1961).Google Scholar
- 5.L. E. DeLong, Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, San Diego, California (1977).Google Scholar
- 11.L. E. DeLong, R. W. McCallum, and M. B. Maple, in Proceedings of 14th Intern. Conference on Low Temperature Physics - LT14, M. Krusius and M. Vuorio, eds., Vol. 2, North Holland, Amsterdam (1975), p. 541.Google Scholar
- 12.H. Damsma and E. E. Havinga, Solid State Commun. 17_, 409 (1975).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Beille, D. Bloch, J. Voiron, and G. Parisot, Physica 86–88B, 231 (1977).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Lethuillier, D. Sc. Thesis, University of Grenoble, Grenoble, France (1976).Google Scholar
- 17.A. I. Abou Aly, S. Bakanowski, N. F. Berk, J. E. Crow, and T. Mihalisin in Proc. 21st Annual Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1975), p. 358.Google Scholar
- 18.J. Keller and P. Holzer, in Proc. 2nd Intern. Conference on Crystalline Electric Field Effects in Metals and Alloys, A. Furrer, ed., Zurich, Switzerland (1976).Google Scholar