Thermophysical and Transport Properties of Metals at High Pressure and Very High Temperature
High pressures are usually applied to investigate the properties of materials at higher than normal density, i.e., higher than found at room temperature and one atmosphere. Pressure can also be used to elevate the boiling temperature and thereby stabilize the liquid phase at densities several times less than normal. We have recently described the use of such a technique to obtain equation of state and transport data for liquid metals up to 0.4 GPa, 7000 K, and two- to fourfold expanded [1,2]. Such information is necessary, for example, for accurate predictions of release processes following shock loading, intense laser pulse absorption, or any other rapid energy deposition.
KeywordsLiquid Metal Acoustic Velocity Lawrence Livermore Laboratory Slit Plane Radiative Cool Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. W. Shaner, G. R. Gathers, and C. Minichino, High Temp.-High Press. 8, 425 (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.J. W. Shaner, G. R. Gathers, and W. M. Hodgson, in Proc. 7th Symposium on Thermophysical Properties, to be published.Google Scholar
- 6.J. W. Shaner, G. R. Gathers, and C. Minichino, to be published in High Temp.-High Press.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Cezairliyan, J. L. McClure, L. Coslovi, F. Righini, and A. Russo, High Temp.-High Press. 8, 103 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.H. P. Stephens, High Temp. Sci. 6, 156 (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.W. L. Thayer and I. L. Robbins, in Plutonium 1975 and Other Actinides, H. Blank and R. Lindner, eds., North Holland, Amsterdam (1976), p. 85.Google Scholar
- 10.R. C. Lincoln and R. B. Pettit, High Temp.-High Press. 5, 421 (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.W. M. Hodgson and J. W. Shaner, to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.G. R. Gathers, J. W. Shaner, C. A. Calder, and W. W. Wilcox, in Proc. 7th Symposium on Thermophysical Properties, to be published.Google Scholar
- 14.M. B. Gitis and I. G. Mikhailov, Sov. Phys. Acoustics 11, 372 (1966).Google Scholar
- 15.R. E. Kidder, in Physics of High Energy Density, P. Caldiroln and H. Knoepfel, eds., Academic Press, New York (1971), p. 306.Google Scholar
- 17.L. J. Wittenberg, in Plutonium 1975 and Other Actinides, H. Blank and R. Lindner, eds., North Holland, Amsterdam (1976), p. 71.Google Scholar