Cold Working of Titanium and Ti6A14V Alloy by Hydrostatic Extrusion
Many technical problems concerning the mechanical installation and lubricants for hydrostatic extrusion have been solved [1,2]. In investigations of the influence of deformation on the microstructure under biaxial stress at 20°C  and of the partial hydrostatic extrusion  of titanium alloys, hexagonal dislocation networks were observed in the deformation zone of a biaxial deformed Ti5Al2.5Sn alloy and in the unextruded part of a billet of titanium which contained 0.35 wt.% oxygen. The networks which occurred exclusively on the basal planes were explained as being caused by the biaxial stress state which originated from the strain of the imposed hydrostatic pressure and/or by the deformation fields extended back into the billet due to the die geometry. With Ti6A14V it was shown that hydrostatic pressure has a favorable effect on the cold deformability and allows a higher degree of cold working as well as a more homogeneous deformation through the total area of the extruded material, compared with a material which was cold swaged .
KeywordsTitanium Glycerine Petroleum Cage Glycole
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. M. Alexander and B. J. Lengyel, Inst. of Metals 93, 137 (1964/65).Google Scholar
- 3.F. G. Pittinato and S. F. Frederic, Trans. AIME 245, 2299 (1969).Google Scholar
- 4.G. A. Sargent, S. Agrawal, R. J. De Angelis, and H. Conrad, in Intern. Conference on Titanium and Titanium Alloys, R. J. Jaffee, ed., Boston, Massachusetts (1972), p. 1745.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Breme and H. Massat, Zeitschr. f. Metallkunde 64, 831 (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.M. J. Blackburn and J. C. Williams, in Proceedings of Fundamental Aspects of Stress Corrosion Cracking, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (1967), p. 194.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Pugh and H. J. Low, Inst. of Metals 93, 201 (1964/65).Google Scholar
- 8.B. Vodar and H. Massat, paper presented at Intern. Conference for Extrusion of Metals and Alloys, Deutsche Gesellschaft f. Metallkunde, Erlangen, W. Germany (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.K. Sagel and U. Zwicker, Z. f. Metallkunde 46, 835 (1955).Google Scholar