High-Pressure Multiple-Shock Response of Aluminum
It is well known that both dynamic yield strength and ratedependent material response exert direct influence on the development of surface and interface instabilities under conditions of strong shock loading. A detailed understanding of these phenomena is therefore an important aspect of the analysis of dynamic inertial confinement techniques which are being used in such applications as the generation of controlled thermonuclear fusion. In these types of applications the surfaces and interfaces under consideration can be subjected to cyclic loading characterized by shock pressures on the order of 100 GPa or more. It thus becomes important to understand how rate effects and material strength differ from the values observed in the low-pressure regime where they are usually measured, as well as how they are altered by the loading history.
KeywordsRate Dependence Shock Pressure Longitudinal Stress High Dynamic Pressure Dynamic Yield Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. M. Barker, in Proc. of Symposium on Behavior of Dense Media Under High Dynamic Pressures, Gordon and Breach, New York (1968), p. 483.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Herrmann, “Development of a High Strain Rate Constitutive Equation for 6061-T6 Aluminum,” Sandia Laboratories Rept. SLA-73–0897, Albuquerque, New Mexico (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.R. G. McQueen, S. P. Marsh, J. W. Taylor, J. N. Fritz, and W. J. Carter, in High-Velocity Impact Phenomena, R. Kinslow, ed., Academic Press, New York (1970), p. 293.Google Scholar
- 7.G. R. Fowles, J. Appl. Phys. 32!, 1475 (1961).Google Scholar
- 8.R. J. Lawrence and D. S. Mason, WONDY IV - A Computer Program for One-Dimensional Wave Propagation With Rezoning, Sandia Laboratories Rept., SC-RR-710284, Albuquerque, New Mexico (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.F. R. Tuler and B. M. Butcher, Int. J. Fracture Mech. 431 (1968).Google Scholar
- 13.B. M. Butcher, in Proc. of Symposium on Behavior of Dense Media Under High Dynamic Pressures, Gordon and Breach, New York (1968), p. 245.Google Scholar