Boron Nitride for Aerospace Applications
- 149 Downloads
This paper describes the properties of new grades of boron nitride now available in large sizes in production quantities. The properties of hot-pressed boron nitride made to a controlled chemical composition in large sizes are described. Pyrolytic forms are also included in the discussion. Emphasis is on new high-temperature property data including coefficient of thermal expansion, a high-temperature permanent set, thermal conductance, and thermal diffusivity. New helium permeability data are also presented. Experimental efforts on metallizing and brazing to the surface are discussed, and also methods to avoid spalling due to moisture pickup. Applications include plasma arc insulators, radar windows, heat sinks, and thermoelectric insulators.
KeywordsFlexural Strength Boron Nitride Thermal Shock Resistance Aerospace Application Union Carbide Corporation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. A. Ingles and P. Popper, Special Ceramics, Academic Press, New York, 1960, pp. 144–167.Google Scholar
- 2.L. Green, Proc. Fourth Carbon Conf., Pergamon Press, London, 1960, p. 497.Google Scholar
- 4.D. J. Powers, Bell Aerosystems Co. Report 64–14(M), Oct., 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Bro and Steinberg, J. Am. Rocket Soc. 31: 1460–1462 (1962).Google Scholar
- 6.A. F. Carter and A. P. Sabol, J. Am. Rocket Soc. 32: 424 (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.P. Schissel and W. Williams, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 4: 139 (1959).Google Scholar
- 8.M.D. Bowen and C. W. Gorton, Combustion of Pyrolytic Boron Nitride, A.I.A.A. Conference, Preprint No. 63–486, Dec. 11, 1963.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Basche and D. Schiff, “New Pyrolytic Boron Nitride,” Mater. Design Eng. 59 (2): 78–81 (1964).Google Scholar
- 10.D. B. Langmuir, Electric Space Craft 1962, Astronautics 7:23 (1962); see also M. I. Yarymovych, F. A. deWiess, and R. R. John, Feasibility of Arcjet Propelled Spacecraft, Astronautics 7; 36 (1962).Google Scholar
- 11.M. L. Yaffee, Electrothermal Thruster Rockets Reach Advanced Status, Aviation Week & Space Technology, 80 (6): 55 (1964).Google Scholar
- 12.C. E. Shepard, V. R. Watson, and H. A. Stine, Evaluation of a Constricted-Arc Supersonic Jet, NASA TND-2066, Jan., 1964.Google Scholar